Fill in the blanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fill in the blanks

I got this photo today of Russian and German soldiers, probably in the Spring of 1918.
    Attached Files

On the back it says, "Austausch den Zeitungen zwischen G____ungen am R(ie?)g__" Exchange of newspapers between ???
    Attached Files

Comment

And finally, the paper itself. Bolshevik propaganda?
      Attached Files

Comment

Note the poor sans culotte holding the papers
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd hate to walk around in that terrain barefoot!

Eric

Comment

On the back it says, "Austausch den Zeitungen zwischen G____ungen am R(ie?)g__" Exchange of newspapers between ???
            the names youre looking for are Halburg (at least thats what i think, its a bit difficult to read) and Rieger (im sure about that)

Comment

Could it be "Austausch der Zeitungen zwischen den Stellung[en] vor Riega"
              (Newspaper exchange between the lines in front of Riga)? The pluran ending "-en" is not clearly there, also the town name is mis-spelled (correctly: Riga).

Anybody have a better idea?

Cheers,

Karl

Comment

i think karl got it! ive looked up the alphabet (http://www.peter-doerling.de/Lese/Sutterlin0.htm)

but it still does look like "rieger"

Comment

Yup, got it now. That swoop on the S had me fooled. The last word looks like Rieger to me too, but I thought I'd better check.

Comment

Karl's right!

An EXTREMELY interesting POLITICAL photo, Tom! The newspaper appears to be under the masthead "Tovarich" (Comrade) and the fact that the barefoot soldier is still wearing his cap cockade makes me think this is 1917 and the Kerensky interlude.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Research
                      Karl's right!

An EXTREMELY interesting POLITICAL photo, Tom! The newspaper appears to be under the masthead "Tovarich" (Comrade) and the fact that the barefoot soldier is still wearing his cap cockade makes me think this is 1917 and the Kerensky interlude.
                      POLITICAL Glad I didn't post it on Die Kneipe 1917 would make more sense. By the time the leaves were on the trees in 1918 in Riga the Germans would have been on the Western Front.

Comment

Memorializing the distribution of subversive revolutionary lit'rature... you ought to be ashamed of yourself!!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X