Against the regulations ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Against the regulations ?

Hi , I have just recieved a WW1 medal bar from Germany which contains of the following medals.

EK II
    Hinderburg Cross
    Kyffhauser Medal
    Austrian Bravery medal iron Bronce

The question is , where not the Kyffhauser medal banned when the Hinderburg medal come along in 1934?
    And there is no swords on the ribbon. It really looks like a Kyffhauser ribbon
    otherwise the only possibility is that it is an very strang KVK ribbon ?

Maybe he was a regulation breaker ? or is it me who dont see the right ribbon here....

All the best from Sweden
    Christer
    Attached Files

regulations , backside of ribbon

And here is the backside !

Christer
    Attached Files

Comment

I would be interested in a answer to this question as I have seen the same kind of thing before and I wonder if its ok to wear unofficial medals as long as its not on a military or party uniform - maybe old comrades or something?

Comment

The Rules Were The Rules...

Strengst VERBOTEN!!!!

There was some confusion among civilians in the 1934-35 period and that is when we see these sorts of "Mistake" bars.

The Xs on the Kyffhäuserbund WW1 Medal were authorized about 1930, I think, while the medals themselves were around at least as early as 1922. So a 1920s member may not have "updated"-- or simply didn't like the idea of jamming swords onto his medal bar. As a non-official award, there were NO regulations for how to wear Kyffhäuserbund medals!

The edge stripes on the Kyffhäuser medals are MUCH thinner than for the 1939 KVK2s.

Comment

When the HK was promulgated (@1934) it coincided with the amalgamation of the the Stahlhelm into the SA Reserve. Most HKs were handed out in 1935 and the ban on the other veterans' badges did not go into effect until very late 1935/ Spring,1936.
          I have a Stahlhelm booklet from 1936 titled "Funfzehn Jahre Stahlhelm in Neidersachsen' (which Rick might have bought for $5 had he not been distracted by some Commie stuff in the back of a van) which is loaded with Stahlhelm portrits just prior and post SA amalgamation. In it, a few of the vets have BOTH medals on their newly remounted bars. Most only have the HK however.
          Last edited by McCulloh; 08-06-2004, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X