1916 Sawback Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1916 Sawback Bayonet

Can I get some opinions on this bayonet? It's cool but I am in the dark on the WWI stuff. IMO, it is re-blued. Any idea what these sell for?
    Attached Files

more
    Attached Files

Comment

a few more
      Attached Files

Comment

The shiny on the blade is from gun oil. I put it on there so that it slips in and out of the scabbard no problem.

Comment

Hi,

Looks nice. Why do you think it is reblued?

Is it dated on the blade near the sawback?

Best regards,
          Michel
          Last edited by morel5000; 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM. Reason: Eeh missed a phote

Comment

Nice bayonet. It should be post-1915 as it has low "ears" and a flash-guard. Probably dated 1916-18. Doesn't appear to be blued (at least the blade still looks bright, which is as-issued). To the best of my knowledge, saw-backs were never re-issued post war, (due to the Geneva restrictions), and all that remained in military stores would've had their saw-teeth removed (ground off) post war during the Weimar period prior to being reissued. Those that were still in military storage post 1918 would've been likely inventoried and would have the year "1920" stamped on the guard, however I've personally never run across a saw-back w/ reissue or 1920 inventory markings (at least in my experience). Yours appears to be in the original finish, at least from what I can discern via the photos.

Comment

Gents, thank you for the help. I forgot the important marks on the blade. I am at work right now but will get a picture when I can. If I remember correctly it says "16" with a crown.

As for the blade, it does have bluing on it but it is not as deeply colored as the rest (hilt, scabbard). To make it perfectly clear though, it is not unblued. Is that correct?

Comment

The reason I thought it was reblued is because 1. the bayonet release button doesn't depress (maybe indicating some bad rust at one point) and 2. inside the bayonet where the bayonet lug fits in, there is some surface rust. Regardless, I'd say it looks pretty good from your comments. Either way, it doesn't seem that the bayonet has lost much value if it has or has not been reblued. Would you agree?

How much do these bayonets normally go for?

Comment

I may be wrong but I think all of the Butcher blade bayonets should
                  have bright blades. I have a saw tooth and a standard and both
                  have bright blades--(not blued)

Comment

Looks fine to me . Rob
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I like this sawback

probably just a good patina build up we are seeing

Cheers Mac 66.

Comment

Here is a picture of the blade markings.
                        Attached Files

Comment

From the close up of the blade spine, it doesn't look blued from here...With that being said, it should be BRIGHT (no blue) unless someone tried to "spruce" it up w/some cold blue in a poor application. As for the release button, try freeing it up w/ some penetrating oil and tapping it w/a rubber mallet or wood (so as not to damage it) and perhaps it'll break free, as I'd imagine it's just frozen up from disuse. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

I have two, a sawback and a standard blade. Neither appears to be blued. I think there may be some variations in price due to various makers, but I think sawbacks bring about $150-$200. They make a great conversation piece in a collection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X