Researching Navy Officer P. Unna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researching Navy Officer P. Unna

Hi. I'm trying to find some information on Navy officer "P. Unna" who was First Gunnery Officer of battlecruiser SMS Hindenburg in November 1917. Given his position, I assume he would have been a Lieutenant Commander or Commander at this time. If anyone has a Navy ranklist or other sources, I would be most grateful for any information you can provide regarding this officer.
    Thanks & best regards,
    Steve

I think you may have the name or rank wrong. I do not find anyone with that last name in the navy ranklists. Post a pic of the name.
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

I think it comes from this object sold by the "Berliner Auktionshaus für Geschichte".

"MESSING-SCHATULLE, m. Deckel, graviert: „Zur Feuerprobe u. EK-Verleihung 17.11.1917-

Dem Gesch.-Fhr. P. Unna auf SMS Hindenburg", Æ 10 cm, H. 11 cm <634132F , verkauft!

Zuschlag: 60 €"

Gerdan

Comment

I can still not find any officer or deckofficer by that name.

Comment

The rank of "P. Unna" was given as "Gesch.(ütz)-Führer".

Must he have been an officer?

Gerdan

Comment

Paul and Gerdan,

Thank you very much for your assistance. This research is indeed for the item mentioned, though I purchased it from an American dealer earlier in the year. I assumed "Gesch.-Fhr." was an abbreviation for Chief Gunnery Officer or First Gunnery Officer, but perhaps it denotes an individual gun captain (which could be an enlisted man). Since SMS Hindenburg sortied but was not in action at Second Heligoland (17.11.1917), I assumed this item may have been a gift for someone on SMS Koenigsberg; this ship was engaged and incurred 9 KIA and 12 WIA in the battle (the inscription includes the phrase: "for trial by fire and award of the Iron Cross"). Hindenburg and Koenigsberg were both assigned to II Scouting Group at this time. I'll try to get some photos and post them, but the name definitely looks like "Unna." Any other ideas would be most welcome! Thanks again & best regards,
            Steve

Comment

The pics will help.

Comment

I've added photos of the item, so you'll be able to see the inscription. Is it possible that "P. Unna" is an enlisted gun crew captain on SMS Hindenburg? Would they have considered Second Heligoland the battlecruiser's baptism of fire? Would they have been awarded the EK for this action (even though they were not really engaged)? Thoughts?

Thanks again,
                Steve
                Attached Files

Comment

More Photos

More photos
                  Attached Files

Comment

Last Photo

One more photo
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X