Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these Austrian WW1 medals look ok?

Silver 1st Class and Karl Troops Cross.
    Is there a way to tell if the ribbons are original war time or replaced?

Medals look original, the only way to really tell on the ribbons is from the reverse.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim B. View Post
      Medals look original, the only way to really tell on the ribbons is from the reverse.

Tim
      What should a person look for on the reverse to tell if they are original or replacement?

Comment

You should look for the metal pieces (hook and ring) of the ribbons. But I'm quite sure these two are wartime.

Regards,

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
          You should look for the metal pieces (hook and ring) of the ribbons. But I'm quite sure these two are wartime.

Regards,

Peter
          Do the hook and ring have noticeable differences on war time versus replacement pieces?

Comment

It's easier if you just show the reverse and go from there.

There are many suppliers of modern replacement ribbons and most have telltale stitching plus the hook & eyes are often telltale, though they are starting to paint these to cover their newer hardware.

Tim

Comment

I'd like to start collecting WW1 Austrian medals, but really want to make sure I get original ribbons. I'm posting a few photos below from an Austrian dealers website, the first advertised as an original ribbon, the second as a new ribbon. Aside from the obvious differences in the appearance of their age and patina, is there anything else in the hardware that gives it away?

Comment

You should not have a problem dealing with that dealer, he is a good guy IMO.

You cannot judge a ribbon based on the ribbons appearance as some are in near mint.

Look at this site (there are more, plus eBay also lists many replacement ribbons). http://www.ribbonsshop.com/category/austria-republic/

Note the hardware materials and color of the metal used and compare to period originals. Keep in mind that some are now painting these bright silver or brass parts, so you have to watch for that as well.

Note also the stitching on the reverse and how some of these tri-folds are put together. Again, the best way is to be able to compare originals with the reproductions. Once you get familiar with styles, you should be okay.

Tim

Comment

Can someone take a look at this 1st Class Silver I received and tell me what they think?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=592602

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter View Post
                    Can someone take a look at this 1st Class Silver I received and tell me what they think?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=592602

Posted reply on your thread in collector's community.

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter View Post

Wow! That's very disheartening indeed. I know the guy used to be an active member at GMIC (Austrian Forum).

If you don't get satisfaction here, I think it would be worth your time and effort to make a similar thread over there and see what develops.

I know about a year and half ago, most of his items were being bought by serious collectors and everyone was quite happy. However, he may have run out and decided to use the "generic" photos posted and just sent replacement "like" items, which is not acceptable in my book.

Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X