Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I found this, hope it can shed some light, but I'm sure you had the idea, just sharing for those like me who are still learning.
        The medal with the image of the cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern; the reverse inscribed ‘FRIEDRICH WILHELM IV’ and dated 1848-1849 above and below the inscription, circumscribed ‘SEINEN BIS IN DEN TOD GETREUEN KRIEGERN’ (His warrior loyal unto death).
        Established on 23 August 1851 by King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia (at the same time as the Hohenzollern House Order). It was made in the Royal Mint in Berlin (campaign medals manufactured there had a very distinctive suspender ring - called a ribbed eyelet - through which the ribbon ring was mounted). It was given to combatant Prussian troops (officers, NCOs, and soldiers who had faithfully served) for service in the anti-revolutionary battles of 1848/1849. In addition, it was awarded for Danish battles in 1849. Standard German reference designations for this medal are Hüsken 7.194.1and OEK 1796/1. A non-combatant version was also awarded.

Combatant Version.- The obverse has the Hohenzollern cross with eagle with the circular inner inscription VOM FELS ZUM MEER (From the hills to the sea). The reverse carries FRIEDRICH above WILHELM IV and thick border above and below with 1848 above and 1849 below the border. The outer ring near the edge has the inscription SEINEN BIS IN DEN TOD GETREUEN KRIEGERN (which designates it as a combatant medal). The UV-negative silk ribbon is almost 3.50cm wide and is the color of the civil Iron Cross with an additional thin central black stripe. A certificate was awarded with the medal.

Non-combatant version.- The obverse has the Hohenzollern cross with eagle with the circular inner inscription VOM FELS ZUM MEER (From the hills to the sea). The reverse carries FRIEDRICH above WILHELM IV and thick border above and below with 1848 above and 1849 below the border. The outer ring near the edge does not have the inscription SEINEN BIS IN DEN TOD GETREUEN KRIEGERN and is totally blank. The UV-negative silk ribbon is almost 3.50cm wide and is the color of the civil Iron Cross with an additional thin central black stripe. A certificate was awarded with the medal.
        Thanks
        Vellocino

Comment

it`s a good one. the little crosses were often made for remembering or worn as a jewellery for women.

in ww1 the allied countries produced the same and they were called "schandkreuze" (in remembering of war crimes of the german forces - war propaganda)

Comment

Thanks guys. I have another combatant award, but I was curious about this style of ribbon and the EKs. What does the EK on the right represent?

I found it at a local show so I thought it looked interesting.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Add. Info

The silver plated Landwehr iron cross is inscribed ‘Mit Gott Fur Konig und Vaterland’ 1813. This designates the wearer as a member of the Landwehr and the translation is ‘With God for King and Fatherland”. The Landwehr term as used refers to the Royal Edict of 17 March 1813 which called up all men capable of bearing arms between the ages of 18 and 45. After 1815 this force was made an integral part of the Prussian Army, each Brigade consisting of one line and one Landwehr Regiment. As a result of the performance of the Landwehr and Landsturm units in the War of Liberation, King Friedich awarded them with the symbol of the Iron Cross with additional script, Mitt Gott fur Koenig und Vaterland 1813, as a battle honor to be worn on their headgear.
              So the mini cross reflects the wearer as a member of a Landwehr unit and a recipient of an Iron Cross 1870.
              Hope this helps.
              Vellocino

Comment

Vellocino, thanks for great explanation! Willi, you actually have a very nice and scarce combination here! Although "real" EK 1870 is missing I bet there weren't many 1849 veterans who earned EK in 1870.

Comment

Thanks guys! I completely missed the Landwehr association, so I appreciate it.
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X