• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this item please......

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...56#post5198856
    Attached Files
    pseudo-expert

Hi,

the first question is if it is magnetic? From the pictures on the back there are a lot of pits, holes as you expect from casting.

Are there any references if it should be bronze or iron?

Best regards,
    Michel

Comment

It looks cast to me, but I would reserve final judgement until I could see the side of the medal to check for file marks or a casting seam.

Regards

Carl C

Comment

Geez. Why not just ask me? I'm the owner.

It's die cast zinc with a silver finish and does have a seam, as you can see. But the seam is not nearly as pronounced as it appears to be in the scan. The finish is mostly gone on the edge.

Table medals were often die cast as were lots of veteran's badges.

There's another one on Militaria321 overpriced at 300 Euros with all the finish gone.

I've never seen another other than these 2.

IMO it's genuine and I actually hate to part with it. I'm only selling it because I need to.

If someone can produce reference for this particular medallion that shows they weren't made this way, and were die struck instead of die cast, then I will revise my opinion.

But, if you don't like it Don, then remove it from e-Stand and I'll sell it on eBay.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian L.; 03-25-2012, 12:07 AM.

Comment

There was a cased on on ebay a couple of weeks ago, I did not save any pics though.

Comment

this big medals were often made in ww1 for remembering of battles.

my father does have two of them from battles in the austrian mountains 1915-1918

imo a good one. and some pay a good price for it.

Comment

Here are the pictures from the auction for comparison:
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by morel5000 View Post
                Here are the pictures from the auction for comparison:
                So, this one has a bronze finish, mine has a silver finish and the one on Militaria321 has no finish.

So, we've established that they may have had different finishes.

If you look closely, you will notice that the pitting or casting flaw around the the word 'Aisne' is the same as on my medal.

It's possible these medallions were also just mold cast using the lost wax method. The artist made an original in terra-cotta clay and either made a die from it for casting or a 2-part mold using wax. It really would depend on how many were made as cutting a die is a large capital expense and would only be done for a relatively high-volume output.

Also, I don't believe the case belongs to this medallion or is even contemporary. It looks to me to be a case easily bought at any coin shop. I think these medallions came in a cardboard slip-case, just thick enough to accommodate the medallion based on other types I've seen.

What did this one sell for?
                Last edited by Brian L.; 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X