Womens and Virgins Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Womens and Virgins Cross

Verdienstkreuz für Frauen und Jungfrauen . Hope you like it as much as I do, this example was acquired from forum member George and is the one pictured in the Iron Time book.
    Mark.
    Attached Files

Very nice example, congratulations

I do think that these should be renamed simply "womens cross" due to the amount of men that have handled these pieces over the years, the term virgin seems a little misplaced

Chris

Comment

Fantastic Cross. I love these, just haven't found one in my price range, but would still love to add it to the collection

Comment

These are truly the height of Imperial craftsmanship.
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Kondor View Post
          Fantastic Cross. I love these, just haven't found one in my price range, but would still love to add it to the collection
          You can usually find one with some enamel loss for 1/2 the price of an undamaged one.
          pseudo-expert

Comment

hi

nice cross, can you find a maker?

regards

Comment

Originally posted by gen_key View Post
              hi

nice cross, can you find a maker?

regards
              Yes, W for Wagner.

Mark.

Comment

very nice!

regards

Comment

Nice I have to say I like these as well

Comment

One of my favorites

Comment

One of the most beautiful crosses on design. No better example to fall in love with Imperial medals. Congrats.
                      Thanks
                      Vellocino

Comment

Originally posted by uknews View Post
                        Yes, W for Wagner.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Nice Women's and Maiden's Service Cross! I never tire looking at these little gems of medallic and enamel art.

I'm very curious about your example being maker marked.

Can you post a closeup pic of the maker's mark? The only marked example I'm familiar with is a JGuS marked one.

Thanks!

Tony
                        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

I'm not sure if this W would stand for Wagner here. And if Wagner, which?

Joh. Wagner & Sohn wasn't that much in the business back then, and Emil August Wagner is known for marking "AW"

I had an older RAO 3rd class some months ago marked "W", and I assumed it was by Wilm. See here for it. We're talking on ca. 1871 here, right?
                          sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Originally posted by saschaw View Post
                            I'm not sure if this W would stand for Wagner here. Joh. Wagner & Sohn wasn't that much in the business back then... We're talking on ca. 1871 here, right?
                            Hi Sascha,

Joh. Wagner made many of the awarded 1870 EKs, as you know. Why do you say he wasn't "much in the business" back then? Just curious.

By the way, great cross I have seen these marked "W" and also "Z," and mine has a "o" mark, or at least a round tool-mark, on the Öse.
                            Best regards,
                            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

With (enemaled) orders, he wasn't a main supplier to the GOK until mid or late 1880s, from what I've heard. The exact dates seem to be unknown, however.
                              sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X