Medal Case? K. Münzamt Stuttgart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal Case? K. Münzamt Stuttgart

Does anyone recognize what order (if any) came in this case? It is 7" x 5 1/2" x 2", has gold embossed crossed swords on top, silk liner on lid is marked

K. Münzamt Abt Orden Stuttgart

Thanks!

Regards,

Fred
    Attached Files

inside
    Attached Files

Comment

maker mark
      Attached Files

Comment

It looks like a Friedrich Order case, but I am not seeing any detail in your scan of the inside plush-- no clues there from the impression of what sat in it?Or is there NO inner lining, and that is the "naked" bottom of the case itself?

Does it come up like an easel to display the contents? Has it got the slot for a pinback (in which case that would have to be Officer Grade of the Crown Order) or?...

Comment

Hello Rick,

Thanks for the reply. The black liner on the bottom is plush over cardboard, it does come out. I don't think there are any impressions on it, I'll check tonight and post more pics if I see anything. On the inside, on the left & right sides, there is an extra piece that looks like it may have supported another shelf on top of the other one.

Regards,

Fred

Comment

It's definately Württemburg...

But if Friedrich's, it's for the Commander's Cross... not for one of the RK's (1 & 2)!

Comment

RIck & Rick,
              I took a closer look at the bottom piece, is is black velvet over cardboard. No impressions that I can make out. Here are some more pics.
              This thing seems rather deep to just contain a medal?
              Thanks.
              Fred
              Attached Files

Comment

another
                Attached Files

Comment

Nope, you're still OK

A Commander's Cross is huge. Massive item that would fit nicely in your case. the brunswick House Order Commander's case is very similar. No fitted tray either. Just a compartment for the cross, with the ribbon folded underneath.

Comment

Rick,
                    Do you have one of these crosses? I'd be interested to see one.

Is the case worth much? I'll probably be selling it, as I don't collect Imperial.

It was used by the veteran to hold his war booty, so the lid interior has some holes where he had pinned some stickpins. The lid has some wear to the gold crossed swords and the gold edging. Overall it's probably vg- condition. Thanks.

Regards,
                    Fred

Comment

Ah, mystery partially solved-- that is NOT the original black plush insert for this case-- it is something made later to "finish" it after the original FITTED bit was removed and lost. Original case inserts aren't flat, they are 3-D and fitted so the contents don't slide around.

Comment

Not so fast Rick...

Not always Rick, there are cased with nothing other than compartments with loose pieces (somewhat) inside....

Originally posted by Rick Lundström
                        Ah, mystery partially solved-- that is NOT the original black plush insert for this case-- it is something made later to "finish" it after the original FITTED bit was removed and lost. Original case inserts aren't flat, they are 3-D and fitted so the contents don't slide around.

Comment

I want to list this one on the estand, but I have no idea on price. Can someone let me know what a fair "estand" price would be? Thanks!
                          Fred

Comment

fldjr!

Hold on a minute please! Do not post anything for sale yet - let’s get it right.

This is not a case for a Württemberg Friedrichs Order commander’s badge. I have them and I can tell you that they both, civil and military, measure 5 1/2” x 3 1/8” x 1”. The only difference between the two is the impression on the interior plush pad and, of course, the crossed swords on the cover.

Since grand cross set cases to this order run in the 6 1/4” x 7 1/4” range, combined with the impression on the inside of the upper lid, my guess is that your case belongs to a commander’s star to the Württemberg Friedrichs Order which is, of course, much rarer than the case for the badge. I hope that this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                            X