1870 EK2 w/ Spange- opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 EK2 w/ Spange- opinions please

From what I can tell this cross looks good. But I'd still welcome your opinions on it and on the Spange. Thanks.

Best, Alex

The oaks are an interesting and uncommon original type that seem to have been removed from something else -- maybe a bar?
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
      The oaks are an interesting and uncommon original type that seem to have been removed from something else -- maybe a bar?
      Thanks, Trevor. So are the oaks are damaged? Do you think they were not originally meant to be part of this set?

Best, Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

I didn't notice the hole had thread in it in the first photo, and I thought it was just drilled through which made me suspect the oakleaves didn't come originally on this ribbon. But now I see the thread, I'm not sure. It's really not possible to say, I guess, without having it in your hands, and even then...?
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Comment

If I were you, Alex, I would be interested also in the originality of that case in which this cross is offered. It looks it will participate a lot on the final price of the set. (I am not going to bid it, have another "open cases", I´m just curious).

Comment

Originally posted by Miro O View Post
            If I were you, Alex, I would be interested also in the originality of that case in which this cross is offered. It looks it will participate a lot on the final price of the set. (I am not going to bid it, have another "open cases", I´m just curious).
            Yes, Miro, the case is another consideration. I've never seen one like it before.

Best, Alex

Comment

Hi,

Why is the case so thick?

Best regards,
              Michel

Comment

Also the transparent cover is spurious - is it glass? Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like some transparent plastic material. What´s the date of invention of transparent plastics, so called acrylic glass? 1928 - brought to market in 1933. 63th Jubillee era. Just my thoughts.

Only one thing is sure - the cross is very nice original well preserved piece.

Miro
                Last edited by Miro O; 01-21-2012, 05:39 AM.

Comment

IMO the cross might be bad as well, casting bubbles in the crown and the slanted down 7 in the date are not good signs. Check this thread:
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=ebay+core

Comment

Its looks like beveled glass not plastic. The case is old no doubt about it, the question is does it belong with the cross?
                    There were so many patriotic cases made to house everything so I suppose it's on an individual basis.
                    I personally have no issues with the case and take it as is, a period case that is home to an iron cross.

The detail on the spange is very good, very clear, the hole could be anything. For me the set seems ok but I was wrong once before

Comment

Originally posted by lewjian View Post
                      IMO the cross might be bad as well, casting bubbles in the crown and the slanted down 7 in the date are not good signs. Check this thread:
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=ebay+core
                      To be honest, I agree with you. The sloped "7" of the date is known on questionable 1870 A-type cores. I am not personally comfortable with this cross.
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

Another curious fact not yet mentioned is that the white stripes of the ribbon have been overpainted with white paint. Why would anyone do that?

As for the oakleaves, I tend to think of broken prongs as evidence of the oaks having been at least added to the cross later, by a collector. The prongs I have seen wouldn't break the first time mounting. So the fact that the oakleaves were (in my opinion) probably added to the ribbon also makes this set something I would pass on.

My gut instinct tells me the same thing.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Comment

Wasn't there a thread somewhere that talked about these crosses
                          have all the extra material in the recesses of the crown?

These don't give me a good feeling.

Comment

EK II 1870 cased

Gentlemen,
                            Could anyone comment on the "Ringoese"...it looks a bit damaged..
                            reattached....???
                            Thank You
                            Wolf

Comment

What´s wrong on resoldered ringoese when we talk about 1870 crosses...

Thanks for the link. Now I see some residuum also between 8 and 7 numerals on streptile´s cross.

To the oaks - I think it was very bad idea to drill that holes from reverse to obverse, and not vice versa.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X