First class iron cross in box

Opinions are welcome
    Thank you in advance
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Too bad somebody polished the crap out of the back.

Otherwise, a nice standard Sy and Wagner, Berlin.

This particular case seems atypical for this cross, as most S-W I've seen come in the standard burgundy case with the gold EK silhouette.

But, it's not really so important a detail, as cases were supplied by case makers to orders makers. Also, the recipient could have bought a new case at some point.

I would suggest that you let it tarnish again and don't polish it.

Comment

Nice looking set

Comment

Why people feel the need to polish old silver awards is beyond me. A total loss of charactor to the piece.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

I agree with Don. I am also one of the "leave it be" crowd. However, just like in Commonwealth Medals it seems to be even less significance to many if a medal is polished (as in removing the patina, not the details).

However, we are a certain breed of collectors. I bet just as many people would buy it in this condition as compared to being black as coal with patina.

Many people don't care. They just like shiny things. Patina be damned.

Comment

Here is an unpolished example of a Sy and Wagner. It developed a
                real nice bark patina.-----
                Attached Files

Comment

wow

Is that an earlier cast core?

Nice cross, I agree about the things that have been said about polising... I have one myself like that.

Best regards,
                  Michel

Comment

The patina is not just a part of the character of the badge. Although, that is certainly the main part of its appeal as being "authentic" to many collectors.

In metallurgical terms, it's an integral part of the original badge: albeit, as it's oxidization, it is also in essence attacking the metal. But, after awhile, the oxidization stabilizes, as long as the metal is not exposed to extreme conditions. So removing it is akin to stripping the paint from a black wound badge, for example.

As someone who used to work in museum conservation, I am horrified by someone polishing silver. If one want to clean it, lemon juice and soapy water are good. Some commercial coin dips, that have conservation specs are also good, if one really desires a shiny surface.

But, this EK isn't just shiny, it's a mirror. Quite sad, IMO.

Comment

Here's my S-W EK1. Sure am glad it was never cleaned or polished.

Best, Alex

Comment

Thank you for your comments. Yes I also prefer unpolished

Comment

I think the patina will begin to form again, but 100 years of patina is now lost. It doesn't look good on this cross either, with it's rough core.

Comment

Nice crosses

Comment

Someone definitely went to town on the reverse of that one
                              Just leave it out in the atmos for a few months until it begins to oxidize again. I had one similar to this which became dark in about a year, well, at least none reflective..

I believe in cleaning but not polishing the bjesus out of them. No cross looks good covered in dust, rust and lint IMHO

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X