My Latest Medal Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Latest Medal Bar

Here's a medal bar I just received What was this guys career like to receive this array of medals Regards Chris
    Attached Files

Rather similar to the document group for Brunswick just sold by Detlev. Probably (85%+) a ranker in WW1, in the navy/marines because of the Oldenburg medal. Recalledin WW2 in rear-eschelon duties, probably after 1940 as there's no LS and his WW1 service would probably have merited a 4 year LS medal. Probably a senior NCO, but maybe even a jr. officer in WW2.
    In the interim period went to work for the state somewhere-as a minor bureaucrat/train driver/gas mains repairman etc.etc. type.
    Odds on guess-coastal artillery, engineers or signals.

Comment

Thanks for the quick help Regards Chris

Comment

What color is the backing? That doesn't always help, especially after the Imperial period, but you never know!

He had a total of 25 years in, combining military with civil service in the period 1938 when the faithful Service Crosses were first awarded, to 30 January 1943 when they suspended for the duration.

The Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross in thrid place, like the Iron Cross, was given to all ranks-- so there is no way to tell whether this guy had been a private or an officer.

The War Merit Cross with Swords suggests that he was recalled for military service (though civilians might get it under unusual circumstances), and I agree with Jeff that he was most likely a rear echelon staff type far enough from the front TO wear fancy dress awards on his service tunic for formal occasions. Whether he was army or navy or air force-- and whether in WW2 he was an Oberfeldwebel or a Hauptmann zV, no way to tell.

But it is a very nice bar in great condition, with a shapely "drape."

Comment

One indicator that it was likely a ranker-is no other state awards. Often officers got additional medals, but rankers-almost never. Also, officers got recalled earlier-and the LS awards were cut off in 1940, so if he'd been pulled back by 1940-there'd be a LS medal( assuming at least 2 years ww1 time served).
          Also, the FAO cross was heavily northern German-and proportionally awarded far more often to navy types.

Comment

Here's the back of the bar. Thanks Chris
            Attached Files

Comment

Probably but not necessarily in the army from the Feldgrau backing.

It's a nice early KVK2X on there, which inclines me more to the Hauptmann zV sort of recipient for one of those.

Comment

Thanks for all your help Rick Regards Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X