• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal Bar

Hello

What do you think about this Bar?

Regards

Sebastian

Fifth medal from left is russian imperial medal For Zeal, IV. class. How somebody could reach german EK2, bulgarian and hungarian ww1 medal and in the same time imperial russian medal, I clearly don´t understand. Maybe I will learn something here.

Comment

Hi Miro

Thanks for reply.I have the some doubts.

Regards

Seba

Comment

Now I found short info on great war forum: Russian medal for Zeal with portrait of Nicholas II. was instituted in 1893 and until 1914 many Germans received it (mainly Hessians).

So, don´t give it up yet.

Comment

The Russian medal for zeal is, like any standard pre-WW1 Russian award, common to Germans.

Some choose not to wear them anymore in the war.

In late and post WW1 era, many Germans received again Russian awards, from the Whites for fighting the Reds!

No ideal how to see if this peculiar medal is a pre-WW1 award or a Russian civil war award.

Nice bar anyway and not usual: Prussian NCO with Saxon FAM and Russian medal. I think it's a good one.
          sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

I am nearly sure this is pre-ww1 award. As far as I know, Russian Civil War awards (of White army) were not made from same dies as Russian Imperial awards. And this is typical imperial type of Zeal Medal, that was instituted in 1893 and ceased in 1917. (Other thing is I never heard of civil war type of Zeal Medal).

Comment

Very nice bar, I would get it because of the zeal medal.

Comment

Should the two service awards (ie blue ribbons) not be together and not separated?

Rich
                Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                Decorations of Germany

Comment

As a foreign award, the Russian medal should come after the Treuedienst-Ehrenzeichen. Civilians and civil servants in the Weimar era and Third Reich didn't always follow the rules, though.

One thing that jumps out to me, though maybe not that big a deal: is that a bronze Friedrich August-Medaille? The Prussian 15-year DA indicates, even with double-counting of war years, someone who was in the Army from at least 1909. I guess he could still have been a Gefreiter or Soldat/Ulan* during the war when he got the FAM, but I would expect someone with five years of pre-war service to be at least an Unteroffizier and thus eligible for the silver FAM.

---

* Ulan because the King of Saxony was Chef of 2.GUR and UR 16, so those are the Prussian regiments whose soldiers most likely got Saxon awards. He could have been a Saxon native in any regiment, though. Also, a Gardeulan might have gotten the Medal for Zeal for services during a visit by the Tsar or other Russian higher-up to Berlin.

Comment

For me it is an original medal bar. Very nice to see the Russian Medal on there.

Kind regards
                    Pierce

Comment

good original one.

typical green back with label of the straßburger hutlager.

i have two medalbars of it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X