Flügeladjutanten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flügeladjutanten

I thought I would ask the wise ones on here. What reference tells me the duties, number, and function of these guys? They had unique helmet plates but were they just aides? Who had them? Royalty only or did divisions, corps commanders etc. also have them? Wasn't this a peach position, allowing the Flügeladjutant rapid and high advancement? There was no tie to the War College so where did it fall vis a vis the General Staff? Someone asked me and I have no clue. If someone can help I thank them in advance.

Just the ruling guys had Flügeladjutanten.

No higher Commander. They had "just" simple" but full-time Adjutants.

A Flügeladjutant was normally a "part time job". This guys normally commanded Guards Regiments or something like this.
    What exactly they had to do??? I have no detalied Information about this. Maybe somebody else can help?

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Thanks Daniel. I really haven't found anything good on these guys yet. Llike how many were there? I know they existed for the ruling guys but how many? The part time status is new to me and the lack of higher level staff aides makes sense given the helmet plate relationships. I appreciate the response.

VJoe

Comment

Naja, now many...

Depends on the size of the state.
        Wilhelm II had a good dozend different Adjutants From General to LtCol rank, a guy like the Prince of Reuß not more than one or 2.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Joe,
          I was the "someone" who asked the initial question and have done some research..... this is what I have dug up so far: It seems that there were many levels of Adjutants. Generally divided into two levels - the lower Adjutants (untere Adjutantur) of the Battalions and Regiments and the higher Adjutants (Höhere Adjutantur) belonging to the Brigades upwards. At the top of the heap were the General Adjutants and the Flügeladjutants who were officers in the personal service of the governing princes. This was a position of appointment and not of rank. The Flügeladjutants then were the immediate assistants of the governing royalty and all business funneled through them. The first General adjutant dates to 1668 and the first Flügeladjutant dates to 1683. As stated this was a position of appointment and was highly coveted. They enjoyed a special consideration by their Prince or King and had the best career prospects. Under Friedrich II the Flügeladjutant and General Adjutant were used as a training tool to create a trunk of younger and qualified Generals. Under Friedrich II there were 21 General and 75 Flügeladjutants. Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X