Manion's 1870 Iron Crosses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manion's 1870 Iron Crosses

I just went through Manion's EK offerings and was struck by the number of 1870 crosses. Most of these are represented as being original, a few tweeser jobs and some rare private purchase pieces.

My question is this. Has Manion's lost their grip on authenticity of late? They used to be considered quite competent and knowledgeable. I have seen obvious reproduction pistol items offered by them at starting prices that are pure fantasy.

Perhaps the fierce internet competition is forcing this old auction house to lower their standards.

Originally posted by GWA
    I just went through Manion's EK offerings and was struck by the number of 1870 crosses. Most of these are represented as being original, a few tweeser jobs and some rare private purchase pieces.

My question is this. Has Manion's lost their grip on authenticity of late? They used to be considered quite competent and knowledgeable. I have seen obvious reproduction pistol items offered by them at starting prices that are pure fantasy.

Perhaps the fierce internet competition is forcing this old auction house to lower their standards.
    Take a look on this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=manions

best,
    Gerd

Comment

----------------
      Last edited by Tim Tezer; 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM.
      "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

--Any way we can get some photos up in here?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M
          --Any way we can get some photos up in here?

Nothin goin on here Bill......the 1870's never seem to sell anyway.

1st, a 'Very Rare' box set - not the Detlev fake one either...(I've stitched the maker mark to the photo for your amusement). Somewhat predictably, it is IMPOSSIBLE to make out ANY core details on any of the pieces.

2nd, yet another unmarked 1st Class silver stamped 13 Lotig with upside down tweezer pin...

3rd, a Ludwig Lauer stamped EK1....

In addition to the First Classes, there is 9....count 'em....9 second class, most of which are maker marked with various N's, A's, CD's, and KO's. And all accompanied with the standard 'Nimmergut' spiel.....

Enjoy.

Marshall
          Attached Files

Comment

--Verrrrry interesting. 9 marked 2'ers, eh? I'll have to have a closer look at these on my other monitor.

--I am not familiar with Manions 'Nimmergut Spiel', what exactly is it?

Comment

Bill M---I am not familiar with Manions 'Nimmergut Spiel', what exactly is it?

Goes something like this.....

Rare, 100% Original Imperial Era - reference "Orden and Ehrenzeichen 1800 - 1945" 2003/2004 Catalogue by Jorg Nimmergut...current price guide fresh from Germany, Value...$2,300.00 etc....

and is usually quoted in conjunction with any piece, regardless of its authenticity, unless 'officially' listed by Manions as a 'Modern Reproduction'.

Comment

All I can say is that it is most unusual for an auction house to make a direct reference to a published price guide value for an item in the description. There's nothing wrong with putting an estimate on something that is lower than the published price, if you want to make sure it sells, but to point out that the price should be higher is to either admit that you don't know what you are doing, or to suggest that perhaps there is a reserve on the item that is above the low estimate price (which is illegal in some states).

However, I have a strong suspicion that these descriptions are being written by the consignors, not by the Manion's staff.

Tim
                Last edited by Tim Tezer; 02-12-2007, 04:25 PM.
                "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                X