Have I Missed Something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I Missed Something?

I was looking at one of this sites sponsors "items for sale" and came across a cased and engraved Imperial EK1 with outer cartonage and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price.
    You can own this little beauty for only $1595.00 U.S.!!!!!!!
    Have I done a rip-van-winkle and been asleep for ten years and woken up in 2014 or what?
    This is absurd regardless of who has it for sale. Sorry but I can't except this sort of pricing for a cased Imperial EK1 in 2004.
    Anybody else feel this sort of pricing is acceptable?

Brett

I'm just glad i don't have to buy it. This is in-part related to a discussion here:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...3&page=1&pp=15

Better reserve some time if you wan't to read that thread through..
    Antti

Comment

My god, Blitz the link you refered me to is 143 posts long!

I hadn't seen it before so I will have a read of it when I have a few hours to kill.
      I can't believe the pricing though, I am still gob smacked.

Brett
      Last edited by Sonderkommando; 06-14-2004, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Yes, i'm just waiting for a day when the prices hit the limit and start dropping again. Allthough i'm scared to even think about how far they will go before that happens.
        Antti

Comment

It is just a simple question, will there be anybody to pay this "price" for a EK1!

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

$1500 for a wound badge repro????????? I wouldn't even pay that for a supposed original, IF there is such a thing on the market. But, if you want to ask that for it, and someone is willing to pay it, more power to you. Except....it would end up on the market eventually as an original. The more this type of thing goes on, the less TR items will be worth in the long run. I think prices have already plateaued on TR badges due to the high number of fakes.
            Now $1500 for a cartoned, ID'ed Imperial E1 sounds high, but without seeing it, I can't tell. It would depend on the quality and maker of the cross, who it belonged to, and the condition. I've seen cartoned, high quality EK1's going for $600 and up. If it's a maker like Godet or Friedlander, or Wagner, and an early one, it could be worth more. And if it's ID'ed to a known officer and the quality of the engraving is above average who knows? One thing is for sure, in my opinion: 1939 EK1's, even cased, will top out in price much sooner than Imperial EK's.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
              Yes, i'm just waiting for a day when the prices hit the limit and start dropping again. Allthough i'm scared to even think about how far they will go before that happens.
              Sorry Antti but I think that will ever happen. As for $1595 for the EK, I would say cut the price in half and you have a deal.

Comment

To his credit, the seller DOES repeatedly admit that the item in question may be priced incorrectly.

In order to know how he determines the prices of his items you have to read the entire thread.

I was just wondering what happened to the red seal on the carton. I sure wouldn't buy the thing without the seal...regardless of price.

Comment

Just found the cross on the site. It's a nice set but I agree; it's priced over twice as much as I'd look to pay. Too bad it's missing the seal on the carton. The cross itself appears average quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Dez H
                    Sorry Antti but I think that will ever happen. As for $1595 for the EK, I would say cut the price in half and you have a deal.
                    So you don't think that the prices could hit a brickwall because they have reached a level that customers can't stomach and then come down? Ok, there are collectors that wan't some things so badly that they don't care how much they cost, but i would have gone bankrupt several times during my two years of collecting if I felt that way.. I'm a realist, i know that the "brickwall" won't come up in the near future. I'm guessing that it could happen during the next ten years or so. I must confess that i don't have a masters degree on economics, so can't make an educated guess.
                    Antti

Comment

Not to mention engraving on originals has been going on for several years. Now they all don't come from Richthofen's plane, they come from mere generals and colonels. I avoid these wannabes like the plague. I honestly think these engraved pieces are enhancements.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                        I honestly think these engraved pieces are enhancements.
                        Often I will cruise a certain dealer's site for a laugh (with green backgrounds) known for half-mad prices and see that some bozo with more money than brains has paid $3K for an officer's Pickelhaube of some sort. Does that suddenly mean that the identical example I have is suddenly worth $3K? No, I still value it in the reality zone. Its like when two dummies on ebay bid a $50 wartime strap up to $200. A price on something does not indicate actual value.

I saw another forum where everyone was excited about an engraved Pilot's badge.....for......... Udet. Yea, sure.T

Comment

Originally posted by Tony & Kaiser
                          Often I will cruise a certain dealer's site for a laugh (with green backgrounds) known for half-mad prices and see that some bozo with more money than brains has paid $3K for an officer's Pickelhaube of some sort. Does that suddenly mean that the identical example I have is suddenly worth $3K? No, I still value it in the reality zone. Its like when two dummies on ebay bid a $50 wartime strap up to $200. A price on something does not indicate actual value.

I saw another forum where everyone was excited about an engraved Pilot's badge.....for......... Udet. Yea, sure.T
                          Yeah, remember the rants about the "Expensivemeister"? Was a bit different than the other thread over in the Third-Reich aera, eh? But IMO the same bad behavier.

Engravings? Nope, sorry, much too much enhanced pieces out there to believe, its real.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X