Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sachsen-Meiningen: Ehrenkreuze!

Dear Imperialoids,

In order to stimulate a discuss to illustrate your fine example of the Ehrenkreuze für Verdienst im Kriege of the Herzogtum of Sachsen-Meiningen, I am posting my group of these fine medals. This "Ehrenzeichen" was instituted on March 7th 1915 by the Duke Bernard III von Sachsen-Meiningen.

The earlier variants of this decoration were made in bronce. Later as the war progressed and the metals became more and more precious these awards were made of zinc. As you can see there are three different tipes of ribbons:

- Combattant's ribbon : the one showed on the decoration on the left
    - Non combattant's ribbon : on the right
    - Ribbon for women decoration : the smaller award worn on a Damenschleife

Ciao,

Claudio
    Attached Files

Orden für Verdienst von Frauen und Jungfrauen in der Kriegsfürsorge, 1915-1918

Here a detail of the delicate detail of the award given to the Frauen und Jungfrauen (literally to the women and young women or better said to the virgins ).

This decoration was slightly smaller than the military decoration given to the men: 29 mm diameter.

Ciao,

Claudio
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Klaus O.; 06-12-2004, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Reverse of this latter medal. As you can see on the medallion there the three C, C for Charlotte, meant the Duchess Charlotte of Sachsen-Meiningen.
      Attached Files

Comment

A close comparation of the Ehrenkreuz in zink and in bronce... as you can see the one in zinc is slightly bigger (40 mm) instead of the 38 mm of the bronce piece.

Ciao,

Claudio
        Attached Files

Comment

Excellent awards Claudio.

It's the first time I see the women decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by John Skandalis
            Excellent awards Claudio.

It's the first time I see the women decoration.
            Yes, for me too. Great awards, Claudio!

best,
            Gerd

Comment

Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Claudio,

It is always interesting to encounter yet another medal bar that has an award mounted in reverse--do you feel that this was done when the bar was originally assembled, or did you turn it over yourself in order to display the reverse image of the award for the thread?

Very nice bar!

Comment

I haven't seen these too often. Thanks sharing guys!
                  Antti

Comment

Nice work Claudio!

Nice job with some scarce examples of a very under-rated (IMO) award. Interesting that the ribbon bow for the women has a different color pattern!

Comment

Very nice Claudio!!

Another one to add to my shopping list! I have an example of the medal...thanks to Stogie but the cross is particularly attractive and seldom seen... Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

To Eric: No, the Ehrenkreuz was originally mounted showing the reverse. Many times I have the impression the people who were putting these less known medals together on a bar didn't know exactly were the front or the back was. Sometimes they mounted the medal accordingly to the personal wishes of the wearer, who preferred that the reverse of the medal could have been seen, like for example the iron crosses.

To Rick (V.): the ribbon on the Ehrenkreuz for women is the correct one like described on the Ribbons' catalogue of Nimmergut.

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Claudio....

... I wasn't questioning the originality... just found it quite interesting that the (correct) women's award ribbon is such a radical departure from the combattant ribbon.

Comment

Here are the miniature and a ribbon bar with the cross:

Comment

Rick,

I was just pointing that out, nothing more... I know you didn't question the originality of the ribbon.

Ciao,

Claudio

Originally posted by Rick Versailles
                              ... I wasn't questioning the originality... just found it quite interesting that the (correct) women's award ribbon is such a radical departure from the combattant ribbon.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X