Rare Air Gunner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Air Gunner

Here is a new addition to my hoard . This is only the second one I have seen of this type. Three piece construction in 800 silver and manufactured by the square punch mark maker(anyone found out who these people were yet?) The quality and workmanship is stunning. Badge is in almost unused condition with original frosting lacquer and sparkely bits still in place. Unusual that the crown and wreath is of the marine flyers format with lower relief and looped bows at base. Bagde is almost 75mm high by 50mm wide ,its a big one !! Ferg

Reverse sports typical hardware from this maker with tiny sweat hole to right of catch 800 mark above hinge. Ferg

Comment

Another great addition to your amazing collection.

Comment

Very interesting and unusual piece. I've only ever seen gunner badges from Juncker.

Comment

Very interesting indeed. I have had a few badges over the years by this maker. They are right up there and every bit as good as those by Juncker. The workmanship is just superb.

My pick Ferg, based on the ones I have had is that your badge was intended to be a naval airgunner. The naval ones by this maker always have that type of Meybauer bow at the bottom. Where as the army ones have the Juncker type of bow.

Have asked "ebony" to post a couple of images of some of mine to show you what I mean,

Excellent find, they are a rare maker and the naval airgunner probably the rarest that there is,

Chris

Comment

posting these for 90th Light
            Attached Files

Comment

posting for 90th Light, the reverse side
              Attached Files

Comment

Great looking badges. Of course, there was no official naval gunner badge.

Comment

Here is a page from a period Meybauer catalog depicting the Air Gunner badges. The prinzen example has the Juncker style crown while the full size version has the standard Meybauer crown.

Hope Don D. doesn't mind my re-posting his image.

All the best ..

Mike Wipf
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X