Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manfred von Richthofen's PlM

Hi !

I would like to know if someone here knows the name of the jeweler who made the PlM of Manfred von Richthofen.

Zooming on the only "good" picture of it, the details are not good enough to say it...
    Wagner (eagles shape) ?

Hello Sir,

From photos, it certainly appears to be a Wagner/Friedlander type of cross. Following his 16th kill in January 1917 he received his PLM. The PLM was produced from Gold until Nov.1916........is it possible he received a gold version?

Best regards,
    E.

Comment

If I am counting correctly from Hammelman's chronology, von Richthofen's PlM was the 12th awarded following the date of decree to change to gilded silver. It is uncertain how many of the designated awards would have actually been bestowed during the time, so any or all of them--that small a number--could have been hollow gold from "stock" available to the Chancellery. Depending on whether the jewelers in question had been given a "head's up" about the change (Previtera implies such might have occurred in Prussian Blue), silver pieces may already have been in production. What I think can be ascertained from this reasonably clear image is the mass of the cross (its apparent thickness) and the strong suggestion the "F" is more centered under the crown (lacking the characteristic "left shift" of a one piece W/FR) is this is either:
      1) a hollow gold W/FR
      2) a hollow silver W/FR
      (or "3" one of my phantom silver Godets! ) -- sorry, couldn't resist!

Comment

Interestingly the British war medal and Victory medal awarded to Richtofens 12th victim are coming up for auction in the UK shortly through Warwick and Warwick

Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X