70/71KDM in Stahl on Combattant ribbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70/71KDM in Stahl on Combattant ribbon

We've pretty well covered the permutations of EK and 14/18 ribbons, and I guess somebody understands it, but what about the 1870/71 KDM? It came in 3 styles: cannon bronze on combattant ribbon, steel on combattant ribbon, and steel on non-combattant ribbon. Here's a doc for the steel on combattant to a Gefreiter. I can't make out the rest of it other than it was signed by a Major and (?). The stamp is too faded to make out. Can one of our chicken scratch readers give me a clue?
    Attached Files

And the details
    Attached Files

Comment

I think it says...

...Gefreiten Wilhelm Heinrich Pehoregge von der 8. Compagnie des Besatzungs-Batallions Bielefeld.

(signed)

Major und Bezirks-Commandeur

Comment

Thanks, John. From his other docs, though, I think the name is Schoregge. He got the combattant KDM in '64 with the 12nd Westphalian Infantry and a DAII in '74. If he was garrisoned in Bleifeld he was pretty far away from the action. Here's the back of his Wehrpaß dated 1866 http://www.mypage.ewol.com/wildman/Details.jpg that might throw some light on the matter. Unfortunately I don't have his '66 KDM doc.

Comment

Steel on "combatant" ribbon was for Stay At Homes.

What's WEIRD is the use of "Besatzungs-" for Garrison, since the German word has the very definite meaning "Occupation" and I've never seen it used except in that context, as in "occupied enemy territory."

maybe they weren't "sure" of Bielefeld!

Comment

I was a bit confused by the use of Besatzungs myself; I had not seen it used, albeit I have VERY limited experience. Tom, it is DEFINATELY Schoregge! Sometimes the Latin handwriting is harder to decipher than the Sütterlin
            Sounds like a great group of docs!

Comment

Besatzungs-Bataillone

The Besatzungs-Bataillone were formed on mobilisation to man the fortresses and lines of communication within Germany itself. They were Landwehr formations and took the name of the recruiting district from which they were formed. Besatzung in this context can be translated as garrison.

Regards
              Glenn

Comment

Nice document...

... I've only seen this variation a couple of times. One of my first purchases was a document/medal group to a fellow who received the KDM in steel on the Combattant ribbon. had his L-Svc. medal document and Centennial document, plus all his medals. Thought i was neater than heck when I had it in hand. Long gone now, but to a good home out west....

Comment

Originally posted by John Harman
                  I was a bit confused by the use of Besatzungs myself; I had not seen it used
                  Time to eat my own words ...I dug out my KDM in Stahl am Combattantband doc; lo and behold to a Wehrmann from Besatzungs-Batallion Stralsund, 1. Pom. Landwehr Regiment No.2. Thanks for the great info Glenn!

Comment

And for those who might wonder who the Landwehr Bezirks Kommandeur was who signed the document, it was Major Heinrich Fritze (1828-1885). He held the position from 1870 until 1878.

Andy

Time to eat my own words ...I dug out my KDM in Stahl am Combattantband doc; lo and behold to a Wehrmann from Besatzungs-Batallion Stralsund, 1. Pom. Landwehr Regiment No.2. Thanks for the great info Glenn!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Baus
                      And for those who might wonder who the Landwehr Bezirks Kommandeur was who signed the document, it was Major Heinrich Fritze (1828-1885). He held the position from 1870 until 1878.

Andy
                      Andy,

Any idea who the Bezirks-Kommandeur for Stralsund was?

Comment

John,

As I am not sure when your document was signed, I'll provide two names:
                        Maj. v. Zepelin (1871) and Maj. Schmidt von Knobelsdorff (1872-1874). Unfortunately, I do not have any additional information or first names.

Andy
                        Andy,

Any idea who the Bezirks-Kommandeur for Stralsund was?

Comment

Thanks, guys, especially Andy. I never would've been able to make out that scrawl.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X