Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 EK Fakes

From Detlev Niemann:

Thank you. Pretty scary, except for a couple of obvious faults (which will go unmentioned in case some "craftsman" is reading. Any background info on these?

Comment

Screwed

Doug,

As I am new to the hobby I have been trying to educate myself before dropping too much coin. I go to Niemann's site every Friday to see what he has and what new fake he has uncovered. This one made me just say, "We are screwed." Eventually I fear the craft of forgery will be unmanageable for us. No further info, though I am sure Detlev would entertain some e-mail.
      Regards
      Marc-

Comment

Of particular interest to me was the fact that...

A) The Full Size EK1 (above) with the side hooks marked 'GODET' bears exactly the same maker mark (but not the same core) as the ONLY pictured 'GODET' in the IRON TIME (page 111).....and...

B) The Prinzen EK1 above marked with Crown and Moon is a match for the 'lavishly stamped' I Wagner marked Prinzen in - you guessed it - the Iron Time (page 117)

Detlev describes these as 'post war made top quality 'COPIES' not made during the time of official award.....'

It's a little ambiguous.......and I don't like my chances of getting a reply directly from Detlev at 4 o'cock on a Friday....but I would hate anyone else reading to confuse 'copy' with later 'private purchase' ......

So before I write-off this particular 'Godet' maker mark, is anyone close to Detlev able to clarify for me whether this means he feels they are merely later issue (post-Jubilee) made pieces, or outright recent fakes....I was under the impression the Previtera 'Godet' was a later issue piece....

I'm also interested in hearing from any other 70 EK1 Godet owners out there (excluding my friend Tony-Tiger1 who has been more than helpful to me..) who can shed light on the elusive Godet EK1.

Please, big guys, I don't bite, and we can do it by PM or E-mail if necessary...

Regards

Marshall

Comment

"SCREWED" is right
          I don't even look at 1870 EKs at the shows anymore. I do not see the
          slight core differences that everyone talks about and many of our own
          " experts " can not agree on what what is good and what is bad. I would
          love to add a (unquestionable?) 1870 EK2 to my collection but I don't see
          it happening.

Greg

Comment

I'm not going to go into detail here because the fakers and crooks love to study this site. I'm also going to say that Godet made various levels of quality on there 1914's and you can see the difference. So we can't say that all Godets should have the exact same characteristics. But, I don't believe they made "economy grades" in their earlier years (pre-WWI). In comparing this 1870 EK1 to an unquestionable original 1870 period Godet, let's just say this doesn't compare well in several areas. It's hard to judge from photos but it is of inferior quality, the details are wrong, the frame is wrong. This may have been a museum display set--it look well made--but not as well made as period pieces. It MAY have even been made by Godet as such?

Comment

Ek 1870

I'm not an Imperial collector, but have been collecting III Reich for many years (35+). I've owned several 1870 EK II's (never a 1st class) but I have to say that, if you've handled high quality period second classes, you will be be able to tell the difference. The feel and quality of the reproductions is just not there, IMO.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Doug See......In comparing this 1870 EK1 to an unquestionable original 1870 period Godet......
                Often quoted but, alas, never accompanied by a photo...

Can someone point me to one of these....please....

Godet and Wagner are consistantly refered to as the two main manufacturers of the '70 EK1, and there are a multitude of pictures of what is considered unquestionable 'issue' I Wagner about this forum, and in Heyde, Bowen, Detlev, etc.....but NEVER Godet..

If their is a reference book I should have, please let me know. I have Iron Time, Iron Cross of 39, Bowen, Heyde, and Louis Schneiders EK book....

I don't need weights, dims, anything - just an OBVERSE!!!!!

Again, PM if you are nervous..

Marshall

Comment

Marshall-

There was one in this thread...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...highlight=1870

Posts 10, 11 and 12.

Right now, the two images of the reverse are visible (11 and 12) but the obverse (10) is not. I think either Tom Y or Tony (Tiger 1) can help you (us) out.

By the way, how come some images (loaded on this forum) fall off our threads but others do not?

Brian

Comment

Marshall,

Keep your eye out for the postman.

Tony
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

.....Attaboy Tony!!!

M

Comment

--Tony's Godet was of the recently established '2nd die' core pattern, I will go into my archives and try to find a photo of a 'standard' Godet core for that frame of reference.

--Been spending too much time picking up the slack for Rick in Die Kniepe , gotta get back in here before I lose my marbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M
                          --I will go into my archives and try to find a photo of a 'standard' Godet core for that frame of reference.
                          I'm gonna hold you to that Bill me old mate!!!!

Recently established by.....????

And yes, we've missed you...

Comment

Tony!! Tony!!
                            I need to look at your 1813, and a coupla others!
                            I'll PM you with my home address, I'll even pay postage......

Comment

Bill,

No problemo, buddy. The postage though is gonna be a mutha. I figure at least $5K for starters depending how many others you want me to send.

Tony
                              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X