1870 EK II Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 EK II Opinions?

I recently picked up this 1870 EK II on a bar--the bar is original, but I'm wondering about the cross. The crown has little detail, and the ring is small with an indistinguishable mark. The raised portions of the core are otherwise sharp and high. The edges of the cross have a distinct grey solder joint all the way around, and it has the 'nub' is square.
    I've owned a number of 1870s in the distant past, but I wasn't sure about this one.
    Any opinions would be welcome!
    Thanks,
    Erich
    Festina lente!

1870 reverse

Here's the reverse. The photos aren't very good, I'm afraid, but hopefully there's enough there for a determination.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

EK stats

Anyone?
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

Hmmmm...

..... there's many things I see that I like, with respects to details of the core. But, it's impossible to determine authenticity IMO from these pictures. My gut says probably OK, but later, ca. 1900-1910 manufacture.

Comment

Ek 1870

Thanks Rick,
          That's my feeling--the quality looks more like a 1914 EK II than a period 1870 example.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

A Square 'nub'...??

Is a picture of that possible, Erich..?

And the mark if you can...

Marshall

Comment

Ek 1870

I'll try to see if I can get a closer photo. My closeups were too out of focus to use, but I'll see what I can do!
              Erich

Originally posted by Biro
              A Square 'nub'...??

Is a picture of that possible, Erich..?

And the mark if you can...

Marshall
              Festina lente!

Comment

Well, without better pictures it's hard to say.. I did do some checking with my books(the few that i have) and my own piece. The details of the crown and the oak leaf are different from the ones i have seen. I agree with Rick that it's not a period piece. But i really can't say if it's good or bad. It is propably an OK one, but can't say for sure.
                Antti

Comment

What's the mark on the ring? Let's see the whole bar before we date it.

Comment

I can't tell what the marking is--there's not enough to determine. The rest of the bar is fine, but it's the type that has hooks on the reverse so the medals are removeable so the rest of the bar won't necessarily help determine anything about the EK. The other two medals are an 1870-71 campaign medal with no motto on the edge, and an 1866 campaign cross. I've got it packed up to return it. I couldn't get a clear enough shot of the ring. If I have time tomorrow I'll unpack it and try to take some additional photos.
                    Erich
                    Festina lente!

Comment

Then it's ridiculous to call this a 1900 EKII. This is a period 1870 EKII. You're sending it back, why?

Comment

Ek 1870

As others have noted, the details are not up to the quality of a period 1870. The rim is on a par, qualitywise, with a late 1914 EK II.
                        I've owned several 1870 EK IIs over the years and would prefer a more representative piece.
                        Erich
                        Festina lente!

Comment

You have to like it, not me. But it's a period piece. Maybe repainted or something funky, but an early period piece.

Comment

Ek 1870

If you're interested in the bar, I can PM you with the seller's details.
                            Erich
                            Festina lente!

Comment

Yes, thank you, please do.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X