Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fokker DR,I model help (with uniforms)

Hi Guys,
    Well after visiting Duxford air museum I got myself a model of a Spitfire so remember the trill of seeing them roaring around in flight. Now I have become a model nerd (I blame Ade ) and I got a Fokker DR.I (Manfred Richtoven model) with 2 ground crew and richtoven himself standing around smoking a cigarette. Did he smoke? I don't remember ever seeing a photo of him smoking. Also I dont trust thier paint advice on the uniforms. Could you all tell me what the colors would be? Should I post a pic of the little guys so you can see what they are supposed to be wearing?
    Best, Sal

von Richthofen

von Richthofen did smoke--I've seen at least one photo of him with a cigarette.
    He wore an Uhlan uniform which was the WWI fieldgrey with red piping--his cap was fieldgrey with a red band and red piping.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

Thanks Erich,
      Sorry, I didn't mention he is wearing his flight uniform with pilots helmet. No they didnt give him his custom made fur suit that he flew in, so what would I paint it? The ground crew is in regular uniforms with caps (the round kind)
      Best, Sal

Comment

Here are pics of the little buggers!
        This is Richtoven
        Attached Files

Comment

and these are the ground crew. What are they doing, tuning the prop? Shouldn't Richtoven be in the plane if they are starting it up?

So what colors do I paint them???!!!!!
          Best, Sal
          Attached Files

Comment

I have to paint the plane in flat red don't I?

Comment

crew

The ground crew look like mime street performers!
              I'm not sure if the plane should be 100% flat red, because I'm not sure if the paint was mixed with aero dope or applied over the doped surface. The aero dope had a slight sheen to it.
              You might want to do a google search for paint schemes--I know that he flew a red tripe with white cowl, but also one with an all red cowl (if memory serves).
              Also, I can't tell from the photo--is M.v.R. supposed to be wearing a leather jacket or a tunic?
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

If he would have worn only such a flight suit, he would have frozen to death in his plane...

Comment

Originally posted by Erich
                  The ground crew look like mime street performers!
                  I'm not sure if the plane should be 100% flat red, because I'm not sure if the paint was mixed with aero dope or applied over the doped surface. The aero dope had a slight sheen to it.
                  You might want to do a google search for paint schemes--I know that he flew a red tripe with white cowl, but also one with an all red cowl (if memory serves).
                  Also, I can't tell from the photo--is M.v.R. supposed to be wearing a leather jacket or a tunic?
                  Erich
                  Thanks Erich,
                  I think M v. R isa wearing a tunic with shoulder bars. What about the ground crew? Colors? BTW he did have a plane with red cowl as well. I am leaning towards flat because the pics I have seen the planes look dull and weathered.

HELP GUYS! I want to paint!!!!!
                  Best, Sal

Comment

Hi Sal,

cannot help you with the colours, but here is a website with a lot of informations around Fokker-planes.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Fokker%20Dr.I

best,
                    Gerd

Comment

Take a look at the Osprey series "Fokker Dr 1 Aces of WW I". by Norman Franks and Greg VanWyngarden. They have some nice plates of the Tripes flown by the Baron, and research text about why they have them painted as portrayed based on the available evidence.
                      "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
                      -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

Comment

Yikes! Moon walkin' break dancers!

Officer leather (boots, leggings) should be brown, while enlisted belts and boots were black by that period.

Feldgrau on their uniforms, with black bands and red piping-- but I don't think you'd get piping, even with a brush using a single mouse eyebrow!

Flying Corps personnel would also have collar Litzen, but many men were assigned from other branches, so not always the case.

Comment

Thanks Rick!
                          What are collar litzen? And the black bands?
                          Best, Sal

Comment

HereĀ“s some Manfred for you!
                            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Here are your two guys, they are not starting the plane up, they are "fondling" it!
                              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X