WWI German Aviation Ref Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI German Aviation Ref Awards

Forgive the request as it is aimed at the WWI Imperial Aviation experts. can anyone put a value please on the whole 7 volume AVIATION AWARDS OF IMPERIAL GERMANY IN WORLD WAR 1 series. 6 x soft backs and Vol VII Hard back. Thanks. By Neal W O'Connor.
    Mark

Hi Mark,

i own Band II - VII. Miss only Band I.
    I would say
    Band I about 100USD
    Band II and III about 75USD
    Band IV - VI 50USD
    Band VII about 80USD

Regards Alex
    Last edited by jaba-the-hunt; 04-25-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

finally have whole set

yes i finally got the whole set complete now took awhile to get the first vol.
      but i found it for sale on evilbay with 2 other parts, #4,5 which i did not need .
      so i bought the lot at around $250 then resold the other 2 vol.s.

if you keep an eye out on ebay they turn up once and awhile.
      joe

Comment

At $100 I would buy every one I could find. I think I am the one that sold Joe his trio. If that had the dedication inside then it was from me. The last one I watched on Ebay was over $400 so at least two people thought that was fair. I don't. I paid $120 to $150 for mine and was happy to get it and that was years ago.

Comment

O'Connor vol x 7

Thanks for the replies. so I assume a total price for all 7 volumes, a fair price, would be US$800?
          Mark

Comment

Fair - yes but given the scarcity of volume one, I doubt that you will be able to collect the set for that price. I own the complete set minus volume one and have been seeking it for a reasonable price for years. Actually saw one offered for $1200!!! Needless to say - I did not buy it. Sadly - volume one is not only scarce but also the lowest quality of the 7 volumes. My understanding is that Neal was considering reworking it but his illness prevented that before he passed on to his reward.

Comment

All prieces i wrote except Band I are prices that i paid for the books.

You still can get Band IV-VI from overthefront (link) for 50USD (go down on the webside). Why should someone pay more for this books. I bought me Band IV-VI there.

i paid for me Band VII 80USD excl. shipping. You still can get Band VII for about 80-100USD if you use the internet search and look for a good offer.

Rare are only Band I - III.

I would say 800USD are to much for all books. I would not pay more than 600USD for all book. If you spend some time you will get the books for less money.

Regards Alex

Comment

Here a link to good offer for Band VII. It starts at 50USD.

Comment

The answer to this is one of simple economics,

"what the market will bear" the balance between supply and demand.

Volume 1 was produced in the lowest numbers and is the hardest to get at this stage. There are many out there who still seek this one to complete the set.

Volumes 2 to 6 were produced in higher numbers than vol 1 but have never been reprinted so once the existing supply with retailers dries up then it is a case of where one can get a copy second hand and in what condition.

Volume 7 has been printed in huge numbers so there is no shortage with that one and if you shop around then you might just get one of these on sale at a reduced price.

The big hope is, if the new publisher who put out volume 7 decided to reprint volumes 1 to 6 esp. volume 1 but I do not think this is likely given the limited market for the topic.

Volumes 1 to 6 are getting harder to get by the day for those who really want them and thus some collectors/ historians/ interested parties are increasingly willing to pay more depending on what they can afford (esp. vol 1),

Chris
                  Last edited by 90th Light; 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

index

Vol I -Bavaria, also doesn't have a name index. It makes it very difficult to look up a recipient to read what O'Connor said about him.

So...I made an index. Going page by page looking for every mention and tallying it and forming an alphabetical index.

At anyone's request I'm willing to look up a name and see if that person is mentioned in the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by W McSwiggan View Post
                      Sadly - volume one is not only scarce but also the lowest quality of the 7 volumes. My understanding is that Neal was considering reworking it but his illness prevented that before he passed on to his reward.
                      Hi W McSwiggan,

He had discussed this on occasion, but as things turned out, he barely finished vol. VII. As a matter of fact, I think that vol. VII was actually released after his death. The timing was very close.

Incidentally, for those who are not familiar with this series of books, in my opinion the title of the series, “Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany...”, is unfortunately misleading because it implies too narrow a focus. In reality, I think that these books are the best (certainly in the English language) reference on military awards of the WWI era.

Regards,

Wild Card
                      Last edited by Wild Card; 04-26-2011, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I've also been looking for years for a copy of volume one

Comment

7 complete volumes

Thank you for the informed comments. As stated I have all 7 and wish to sell. I will place in the For Sale section before a Moderator tells me off !!
                          VMT
                          Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X