Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanseatic medal

Hi all,

Something nice for Hanseatic collectors!

Just arrived my new adition for my collection - Hanseatic League Napoleonic Wars Military medal, 1813-1814 in silver (Gemeinsame Kriegsdenkmünze für die Hanseatische Legion 1815)

Like I understand, made by Gottfried Bernhard Loos (1774-1843) in Berlin for Hanseatic Legion battalions. www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de states that only 800 silver awarded and 12 golden ones.

Someone, who have same award(s) or know well this period items, maybe can have a look at the pictures below and advise regarding originality. To me details looks very good and sharpe.

35,92mm wide
    1,62mm thick
    weight 14,9

(these figures can be varie a little).

close ups....

Regards,

Timo

Very nice, TimoI tried to get one of these from an auction in London, but am still looking for one for my 'oldtimer collection'.

Comment

Thanks Vince,

As you can imagine, I am very pleased to have it!

Here is the information what I have found for my collection file:

Hanseatic League Napoleonic Wars Military medal, 1813-1814 in silver (Gemeinsame Kriegsdenkmünze für die Hanseatische Legion 1815)

This medal was established by Council resolutions of the Senate of the three Hanseatic cities;

9th March 1815 Hamburg Senate
      31st March 1815 Bremen Senate
      7th June 1815 Lübeck Senate

Medal was issued to the members of the Hanseatic Legion or active militia, which have been during the liberation wars in the field (1813-14).
      The medal was made ​​by Gottfried Bernhard Loos (1774-1843) in Berlin.
      On the obverse there is three Hanseatic cities coat of arms: Bremen, Lübeck and Hamburg (left to right). Behind foliage and semi-circular text: “Gott war mit uns” (God was with us). On the lower part, there is a maker stamp “Loos”.
      On the reverse circular text around the edge: “Hanseatic Legion” and Lübeck Bremen and Hamburg. In the middle text: “Dem Vaterländischen Kampfe 1813 – 1814 zum Andenken” (The Patriotic fight 1813 – 1814 in memory). On the bottom there is Malta Cross (Johanniter Cross).

There were only 800 (different source 720) medals in silver and 12 made ​​in gold. The silver medals cost 1 Thaler 16 Groschen each at this time.

After liberation by Allied forces in 1813, the Towns raised the Hanseatic Legion, comprising two infantry battalions from Hamburg and one each from Bremen and Lübeck. In all, 1,710 men from Hamburg, 750 from Bremen and 540 from Lübeck joined the Legion and subsequently fought at the decisive battle of Waterloo under the command of Graf (later Fürst) Generalfeldmarschall Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher.

Comment

Very Nice! Something else to add to my wish list. Could you also show the ribbon that it came with? Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Kondor...

Ribbon on my medal is unfortunately modern replacement and I am actually considering to display it without it.
          It is exact same as Lübeck Hanseatic Cross ribbon: half Red and half white.

Regards,

Timo

Comment

Thanks Timo for posting! This is the 1st Hanseatic medal I've seen and it is truly exceptional and as stated below, now on the "wish list!"
            Congratulations, great/rare piece!
            Greg

Comment

one more what I am proud of...

maybe someone can add or correct details, if nessecary

Württemberg Campaign Medal for 2 Campaigns 1793-1815 (Kriegsdenkmünze für die Feldzuge 1793-1815)

The medal was founded by King Wilhelm I on January 1, 1840 for all officers, military officials, non-commissioned officers, and soldiers, who in Wurttemberg service participated in a campaign and thereby “had either entered the theatre of operations or at least crossed the hostile border”.
              The dies for this medal were made by Gottlob August Dietelbach (1806 – 1870). The medals were struck at the Stuttgart Mint from bronze smelted from captured cannon.
              There are at least two die variations known. On the ribbon binding the bottom of the wreath are the initials “A D” for August Dietelbach. This indicates that this was a later die-type.
              On the reverse of this medal is a shield with three upper points, with small lion’s or dog’s heads (they have been described as either in existing literature) at both outer points. At the centre point of the shield is an ornamentation composed of leaves. At the centre of this shield is the inscription “für/treuen Dienst/in/zwei/feldzügen.” (For faithful service in two campaigns). Behind the shield are two crossed swords with their blades pointing downward. Draped from the sword blades are what appear to be ribbon ornamentations.
              This medal is 30mm in diameter and has been gilded. Gilding was a rather common practice for officers of this period as one didn’t have to polish the medal to keep it looking proper once it was gilded. The gilding was privately done at the cost of the recipient. At the top of the medal is a suspension eyelet soldered to the edge of the medal. Through this eyelet passes an un-fused ribbon ring.

Prior to the end of November 1840, a total of 9,796 war veterans had received the medal for two campaigns. Altogether, 26,686 medals for various campaigns were known to be struck.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X