Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo on estand!

Hi guys,

On "12thPanzer's" for sale thread here http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=505327 he has a couple of photos for sale.

Now I'm probably completely wrong but on the first photo, is the guy second from right...von Richtofen??

Dave

Hi Dave,
    Here are a couple more shots, sorry I couldnt do better. It is a smaller photo and is not that detailed....but I scanned as best as possible. I agree, there are similarities to Richtofen for sure, but I dunno? The fur hooded jackets are what I thought was pretty neat. Like I told Dave, I recieved this photo along with the other WW1 portrait and some WW2 panzer photos. I am trying to focus on Panzer related photos and am just selling the WW1 pics off. I should have paid more attention to the ww1 pics I guess, but owell! haha
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 12thPanzer; 04-01-2011, 03:52 AM.

Comment

It sure looks like him. Wouldnt it be cool if it was a pic of the flying circus?

Comment

Im trying to figure out the Identity of any of the others pictured to try and reinforce the ID, but it sure looks like the Baron. Either way, this has taught me a lesson to look carefully at ALL of the photos that come in lots, not just the ones that interest you the most!

The man standing to the right of the "could be Baron" looks like the man standing up 2nd in from the right side in this Bundesarchive pic. ???? just a guess
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 12thPanzer; 04-01-2011, 04:19 AM.

Comment

The more I look at it the more I'm sure it's von Richthofen but I'm still not 100%

Comment

Hopefully this turns out to be a nice score for you? Nice resemblence's

-Ray-

Comment

Im not 100% sure either, but like you said.....the more I look at it and the guys around him, it makes me more convinced. But hopefully someone who studies Richtofen and knows his profile better than me can chime in. Thanks for the comments already guys, this has turned out to be an interesting photo even if its not him!

This is just an observation and I am probably wrong, but these guys with the mustaches I have circled look slightly similar to me???? Whata ya think?
              (this is a Picture of JG11)
              Attached Files

Comment

There is a strong resemblance, but the face of this individual does seem a little heavier than Richthofen's. You might want to compare photos of Major Albrecht von Richthofen to the older officer linking arms with 'Richthofen'.

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                  There is a strong resemblance, but the face of this individual does seem a little heavier than Richthofen's. You might want to compare photos of Major Albrecht von Richthofen to the older officer linking arms with 'Richthofen'.
                  thanks Vince. I will check that out. Was this normal attire for pilots/officerd to wear in WW1? Those fur longcoats, especially the white ones look pretty classy. Almost something you would expect to see on a high ranking person.?? I wish the photo was a little clearer so we could see the facial features a little more. Another thing is the way the supposed "richthofen" wears his cap. It is similar to the way Manfred wore it in some of the pictures I have seen online.
                  Like you said, I hope maybe someone can identify the men around him, which might give a clue.

Comment

Well, this has been discussed at War Relics forum as well. We have come to the conclusion that it is either the Red Baron or his brother Lother Von Richtofen! We believe that the other with the mustaches circled below in my photo are Luetnant Sebastian Festner and Leutnant Georg Simon who were members of Jasta 11 - the unit the Baron was leader of.
                    Thank you Dave for pointing this all out in the first place.

Comment

Here are a couple photos of Red Baron to compare.

The group photo with the Red Baron is the closest pic I can find that compares to my photo. Thanks for any input and help still.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I still think it's Manfred and the older gentleman could be Manfred's father Albrecht von Richthofen (there's definitely a resemblance), here is a photo of Lothar, Albrecht and Manfred together (photo courtesy of onlipix.com)
                        Attached Files

Comment

I agree Dave. That is a very close call on his father!! I didnt even think of that! I have been searching for older men in Jasta 11, but to no avail. But that would make the most sense so far. Thank you for the Image of him, I have not seen that one yet in my searches.

Comment

After inspecting the photo, I would have to def agree Dave. Thanks again.
                            Here is another photo of Albrecht von Richtofen.
                            And after watching video after video documentaries of The Baron, I am pretty comfortable saying it is Him in my photo now.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 12thPanzer; 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X