Who Buys this Crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Buys this Crap?

Is anyone following the German ebay auction on the 'Bavarian Balloon Pilot Badge', with 'expertise' from Staegmeier? Firstly, who is buying this junk, and secondly, is this a genuine expertise or a forgery? I thought this dealer was above board

"Balloon Pilot Badge" what the hell is this?

Regards Alex

Comment

Photo please
      Thanks,
      Greg

Comment

"Staegmeier? Firstly, who is buying this junk, and secondly, is this a genuine expertise or a forgery? I thought this dealer was above board"

You thought wrong :-)

Anything expertised by him is as kosher as this badge.

Any German based collector can tell you.... only his mother loves him.

Comment

Most COAs are not worth the paper they are printed on. I would love to see a picture of the "award".

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
            Is anyone following the German ebay auction on the 'Bavarian Balloon Pilot Badge', with 'expertise' from Staegmeier? Firstly, who is buying this junk, and secondly, is this a genuine expertise or a forgery? I thought this dealer was above board
            Staegmeier above board? I think not. He has flooded the market with fakes.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
              Staegmeier above board? I think not. He has flooded the market with fakes.
              I understand he makes them himself, or has them made. His fakes are of the very highest quality, and woe betide any buyer who buys a piece from him outside his specific area of expertise. His 1914/39 Spange fakes are so good, I often need a second opinion to unmask them. He also alters originals: adds marks to unmarked crosses, and has a jeweler finish postwar S&L Knight's Crosses to resemble more closely wartime models. Staegmeier, in my opinion, is number two only to "the club" in outright forgeries, lies, and fakes.

I just don't buy anything from him.
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

The problem comes when it goes into the secondary market with no connection to him.....
                pseudo-expert

Comment

The problem comes when it goes into the secondary market with no connection to him.....
                  exactly,,,,

Comment

Very true.

These people will try as hard as they can to ruin the hobby.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thanks for all the input, guys. I've never dealt with this guy, and now will avoid him like the proverbial plagueSorry I don't have an image of this thing, but it was a pretty convincing looking thing, hollow back with spurious Poellath markings etc. The tragedy is that the bidding was up to euro 250. last I checked

Comment

Please explain what you mean by this. I guess I'm a little slow. Gary

Comment

Easy enough Gary, both his fakes the those of the club are just that good that when you see them somewhere other than on the usual suspects websites you will believe them to be good.
                          pseudo-expert

Comment

I saved the pics for my fake file. 4 to follow.

Note the classic fake chemical mottled/patchy patina on the reverse.

Regards
                            Mike
                            Attached Files
                            Regards
                            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Last 2;
                              Attached Files
                              Regards
                              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X