Very Odd '14 EK2 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Odd '14 EK2 Conversion

Whoever went to the trouble did a great job! Question is, why?

looks like Minty Fresh one too -- so it's not as if it got banged around as a watch fob or on a key chain.

Comment

reverse

Comment

closeup of front

Comment

Closeup of reverse. Yep, Rick. The cross is stone mint with all of the paint still intact. The silver 'sleeve' was fitted onto the frame....

Comment

Just a suggestion... Maybe was this thing convertert to wear it on a buttonhole-ribbon?

Comment

I have seen photos of EKs being used as decorations around flags poles, tapestries, and other official decorations. Could this have been made specifically for a similar purpose? Which would mean it was not converted. T

Comment

The thing that strikes me the most is that the ring is marked. I think maybe Tony's got the right idea.

Comment

I like Tony's idea, but I was under the impression that the one's he's talking about are Grand Cross size. Tony, can you remember where you saw a flag pole EK?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Stahlhut
                    I was under the impression that the one's he's talking about are Grand Cross size.
                    Hi Eric,
                    I am sure I have seen one lot in a long-past German auction which was a drapery with a series of cloth 'bands" around it and it had EK2 hung from each of these bands. In the current HH auction there is something similar to demonstrate use of a period decoration as a decoration in itself. Lot Nr.4283 is a Banner Pole from the Hohenzollern Castle and suspended from it is a Grand Cross of the Iron Cross 1870. As you mentioned, not the same, I know, but the same idea. Could be?

Comment

I think that your explanation is very plausible. One would think that if this was not a conversion but a production piece, we would be more familiar with this style of cross.

Gerd has a good idea as well, but I feel it would have been too much effort to "doctor" up an EK2 like this one in order to wear it on the ribbon for a day. Perhaps it is an unused photo studio prop?

Comment

Hi Eric,

assuming, my idea was right, isn´t it possible, that some producers made special EKs like this for the one, who liked to wear an EK on their buttonhole ribbon. I don´t think, "normal" EKs were good to wear on a bh.

Have you ever seen another one of this or is this the first?

I have never seen a flagpole like described from Tony. Anyone has a picture available?

best,
                        Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by Gerd Becker
                          Hi Eric,

assuming, my idea was right, isn´t it possible, that some producers made special EKs like this for the one, who liked to wear an EK on their buttonhole ribbon. I don´t think, "normal" EKs were good to wear on a bh.

Have you ever seen another one of this or is this the first?
                          I agree, and that is why I was wondering if it possibly could be a foto prop for soldiers who were having their CDVs taken in an atelier. I really don't know.
                          I've never seen an EK2 with this type of construction before.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X