scanning and pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scanning and pic

I realise that this is not the technical forum, but I want to get right to the people who have the best pics on the forum. I want to buy a scanner that will do the quality of pcitures that we see on the Imperial forum. I also I would like to do real close up shots, for example maker marks on a EK2 ring. What specification should I look for in a scanner and can anyone make any recommendations on manufactures and models. Thanks guys!
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

I use a Mustek BearPaw 1200 which makes really great pics including such closeups of the stamps on a finnish Medal of Liberty 1. class below:
    Attached Files

Comment

I use a Microtek Scanmaker 5900. it makes great scans up to 2400 dpi and has the added advantage of a lighted cover for scanning slides and negatives. For editing I use Paint Shop Pro 7. Maybe not as good as Photo Shop, but more user friendly and a lot cheaper. Here's a mark on an EK scanned @2400 dpi, 100% reduced and cropped with no other editing.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'll tell you what to NOT buy, and that is a Canon flat-bed scanner of any model. They don't seem to be able o scan anything with depth (badges etc) only flat documents. I found this out, of course, after we had it for a while.

Comment

I use.....

... an ancient Storm Total Scan flatbed for the serious stuff. I can get dpi resolutions from 30 to 300++, which is what I usually use for the flight badges. Gives my twin the ability to crop, rotate, increase, etc.
          For regular work I use a Fuji MX700 (again ancient) but for what I paid for it, I'll use it as long as possible.

Comment

I have an EPSON PERFECTION 1660, I find it's brilliant and can get a lot of detail on 3D objects like badges and medals....happy to provide some examples if you like.

It was reasonable...under $200 Canadian so somewhat less than $150 USD and I would recommend it.

Tony speaks the truth about Canon...they are useless for anything other than photos and document. Badges and medals will scan VERY blurry...I know because I got one initially and then exchanged it for the EPSON when I realized it was pants!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X