• Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 1914 L/16 Screwback EK1

Arrived today off eban
    Attached Files

nice one buddy.

Comment

Mike can you do a good close shot of the mark please?

There are fake cores and frames that look literally identical to these, and while I have not yet seen them marked L/16, who knows what's next?

Here is a good mark to compare to:

Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

That is a good looking cross Mike. I sure hope Trev is wrong (under the circumstances, I think you understand, eh bud?! lol)!

Obviously close ups of the MM are needed but the bottom arm of the "L" and the 6 in "16" do seem to look different. Could just be a lighter stamp...or so I am hoping!

Ryan

Comment

To me, this type of cross has become virtually uncollectible. To understand why, have a look at this photo composite. One of these is fake. Does it even matter which one? (it's the right)

To authenticate yours, I would compare the reverse screwpost, the L/16 mark, and the disc itself, with good wartime L/16 1939 EK1s. They should all be the same.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

I saw this one for sale. He also had a KO marked cross listed as well. I also thought that the crossshown was not original and probably the KO as well.

The core for me is the problem. I once had an identical fake Third Reich cross like this, marked the same with the exact harware set up.

I hope I am wrong.

J

Comment

Hi Trevor, the cross looked like a good match in terms of the L/16 stamp to the one in the EK1 book, with a larger L stamp... Iam heading out the door now typical so will be back to investigate later

cheers Mike

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It appears to be a perfect match to page 182 of the iron cross 1st class, now that doesnt guarentee its right, same sloping fat L, soft crown detail, high anti reversal solder....

Comment

To me, this type of cross has become virtually uncollectible
                    I dont touch them But I wouldnt discourage anyone for having a go at it

Its just that I see these almost as much as I see the 9 beads

Comment

Originally posted by LeeJ View Post
                      I dont touch them But I wouldnt discourage anyone for having a go at it
                      Its just that I see these almost as much as I see the 9 beads

conflicting answers,,,,
                      posting this cross at the wehrmacht section wood be wise

Comment

I did and didnt get any replies

Comment

Originally posted by evilmike View Post
                          I did and didnt get any replies

try the search option

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=L16

frame comparing ,,that is what they do over there ...

and you maybe find this

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=L16

and before you know it ,,,you know what is needed ...

how is that fore an answer from a former 1939 traveller.

Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 02-23-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Conflicting how? I dont collect them mostly because I have a hard time telling the difference at this point but Im not going to tell someone else not too.

I collect 1870 crosses because its easier to tell the difference to me possibly because Ive done more research. If I did some more research on these I might feel more comfortable buying them. I was only saying that I see alot of these on ebay like the 9 bead.

I do agree that maybe the TR guys could give some more insight.

Maker marks are sometimes very clear and sometimes faint. I think the cross features are better to go off of then the maker mark. If the distinctive features add up with a distinctive mm then you may have something.

Comment

Of all the threads ive looked at today thats the 1st time ive seen that one, iam glad the photos are still up

Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X