Small treasure found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small treasure found!

This little cased beauty was on the E-stand from Mike Dunn. I have bought a number of items from him and they have all been great. This one was beyond what I expected by far! I looked at the ribbon that came with it and while trying to get it back in the box I lifted the tray the medal sits in. It was hinged at the bottom so easily done without damage. I noticed a small square of paper.
    Keep reading...
    Attached Files

I found this! To my poor German skills this is a preliminary document for the award. Any help on what it really is will be greatly appreciated. Also, I can not read the name. Please tell me who was awarded this medal - Please! This is the first time this has happened to me and I called Mike and he said "Post it." so here it is for both he and I.

Thanks,
    Chet
    Attached Files

Comment

Mister Dunn!

Well, it's an interesting little bit of award related paperwork--

it is a RECEIPT for a "Lt. Haag" of that unit, for RETURN of his Württemberg Military Merit Medal in Silver in EXCHANGE for a newly awarded Wtbg Friedrich Order-Knight 2nd Class with Swords. He would have had to produce this to collect his Order from the Orders Chancery.

FOR THIS "FrO3bmS"

Württemberg was a nightmare of freak award regulations, and soon hereafter (this must have been near the end of the craziness) STOPPED making people surrender lower awards when a higher was received--

an idiotic practice that left people decorated two and three times with only a single award !!! From later in 1917 on, ALL awards, once bestowed, were allowed to be, duh, worn together. Officers who had the Wtbg FriedrichX and had to turn it in for a Wtbg MilMerit Order then got a SECOND award of a Friedrich w/Xs-- leaving TWO awards for THREE... but at least that was better than only having ONE to show for it.

I don't find anything in what I have (weak on Wtbg) on Haag-- he was obviously commissioned during the war, and probably dR or dL.

Comment

Tain't no Red Eagle, Rick, methinks it is the Friedrich Order Mike had up a short while ago!

Comment

Jeez, give a guy a chance to edit, wilyaz? Have some empathy for the Typing Skills Impaired!

Comment

Sorry Rick

In any case (heh!), that IS a pretty neat surprise!

Comment

That's not ANY case, that must be a...

Foldin' FOEHR!

Comment

Boy, I am such a nice guy...

Comment

That's a nice little piece of history there. You're probably the first person to touch that paper since Lt. Haag folded it up back in 1917, and tucked it away in its box for safekeeping.

Comment

Thanks for the help and the comments. I think it is pretty rare to have a name to go with a single award and I am happy to add this to my collection.
                    Rick - Do you know what all of the letters in front of his name stand for?
                    Mike - You are a nice guy. I was a bit scared to call you. Some people do not take things like this very well. In fact, the guy that I bought the medal bar off of that Rick L. put a name to is still mad at me! Like I knew it was traceable and took advantage of him. I just have a bit of beginners luck.

Thanks,
                    Chet

Comment

Chet.

The initials in front of his name are just the abbreviation for the medal he handed back - 1 x Silberne Militaer Verdienst Medaille.

Comment

NIce find!

For sure he was commissioned after the wars outbreak. If he had to return a SILVER military merit medal (awarded as enlisted/NCO/Officer candidate). Just the GOLDEN MMM was also awarded to Officers, because it ranked above of the Frederick knight 2nd class.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

--Ok, then. Let's not all go ripping our cases apart now!

--Um, I'll be right back. I'm feeling a little er...hungry. Yeah, gotta go now...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X