Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killer bayonet

Hi guys,
    I only collect wwii, but this was in a vets grouping. Im assuming a k98 wwi bayonet. It is in fantastic condition. Unsharpened Anything you guys can tell me? Is bigger and wider than wwii bayonets i think.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It looks like your standard model 98/05, of Bavarian manufacture. Possibly the most common German bayonet of the war. It does look like a nice example.

Chip

Comment

thanks! I figured it wasnt rare, but the quality to me is as about as good as it gets for being so old. Its the first bayo ive owned that some numb skull hasnt sharpened or left in a damp basement. Any idea of value?

Comment

cowboy,

I wasn't meaning to knock the bayonet, as it is a very nice example. I was just pointing out that it is a common variety. What is the date (two digits) and cypher stamping on the back of the blade near the crossguard? If it is a crowned "L", it is Bavarian and worth a bit more than a Prussian. I'm not a bayonet collector per se, but I do have examples of the more common varieties. I think you can still get these in the $75 to $125 range (with the variance being, condition and markings.

Chip

Comment

These also come in a sawback version, with a saw blade on the top of the blade. I have also seen versions with the saw blade removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
                  cowboy,

I wasn't meaning to knock the bayonet, as it is a very nice example. I was just pointing out that it is a common variety. What is the date (two digits) and cypher stamping on the back of the blade near the crossguard? If it is a crowned "L", it is Bavarian and worth a bit more than a Prussian. I'm not a bayonet collector per se, but I do have examples of the more common varieties. I think you can still get these in the $75 to $125 range (with the variance being, condition and markings.

Chip
                  I will have to ck when I get it out again this evening. Chip, no biggie i wasnt offended and I was grateful for the help

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X