Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Soldiers from WWI

Hello,

Found this photograph among my grandfather's things. Not sure of what kind of unit this is, but it looks to me WWI. Can anyone help to shine a bit more light on this? I suspect that one of them may be my grandfather's father.

Thanks.

Could your grandpa have bee with Austrian or Hungarian units in WW1?

Gerdan

Comment

Well this would be great grandfather not grandfather, but yes he was from Krain so that is possible. These are Austro-Hungarian soldiers from WWI?

Comment

As an update-

My confusion with this picture was largely because I was always told that my great grandfather was in the German Army, not the Austrian Army. I enlarged the picture and had an elderly relative take a look. Turns out my great grandfather is in this picture, and was in both the Austrian and German military. In the first World War he was an Austrian Soldier. Then in 1944 at the age of 55 he was called into the Volkssturm.

Comment

These are for sure Austro-Hungarian soldiers, and probably early WW1 or pre-war (there are little ww1 decorations, if any - these medals could be some commemorative medals, or bravery medals). Hey, your great-grandfather was from nowadays Slovenia! Gotchee is now called Kočevje, a town in forrested part of southern Slovenia. Was he German or Slovenian? Before WW2 there was a strong German minority in Gotcheee regionbut they were first re-settled by germans in WW2, and then most of them expelled after WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by Valter Gorenc View Post
            These are for sure Austro-Hungarian soldiers, and probably early WW1 or pre-war (there are little ww1 decorations, if any - these medals could be some commemorative medals, or bravery medals). Hey, your great-grandfather was from nowadays Slovenia! Gotchee is now called Kočevje, a town in forrested part of southern Slovenia. Was he German or Slovenian? Before WW2 there was a strong German minority in Gotcheee regionbut they were first re-settled by germans in WW2, and then most of them expelled after WW2.
            Thanks for all the information. Since my great-grandfather was born in 1889 he would have been old enough to have been in the army in early WWI, or perhaps even before.

He was a German, and was among those Kocevje Germans relocated to Rann after Yugoslavia fell in 1941. I posted in another thread (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=471302) some other pictures from Slovenia during the WWII era.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X