Strange EKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange EKII

Well, I just got this strange bugger today.. Non magnetic, one piece. On spange. Perhaps made in the colonies? But it must be die struck, I quite sure it's not cast.

Note the crowns are different on each side.

It shows lots of wear.

Henrik
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

Back
      Attached Files

Comment

Crown
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting one piece cross!

I must tell you though that the device it is hanging from is strictly American and is a marriage to your cross. Such devices were used in the late 19th and early (first half) of the 20th century. You will find such devices on commerative medals etc., from early VFW, American Legion, as well as Masonic and other private organizations who had reunions or annual get togethers. The face of the suspension bar would either have had the name of the person or the organization applied to it. If memory serves me correctly such "bars" were used on some G.A.R. reunion and SpanAm commeratives as well.

How it came to be found in Europe (if it originated there) is another question.

Regards,

Chuck

Comment

According to Stephen Previtera's 'Iron Time' (2nd edition, page 178), he suggests that this may be a propaganda piece of non-German manufacture. It has the Napoleonic Imperial crown of France, and is stated to be very rare.
            I'd love to have it in my collection!

Regards - Danny

Comment

Hello Chuck and Danny

Interesing point Chuck. It's from a US dealer. I don't know if it has ever been in Germany..

It sure looks to have been worn, a lot, and always been on the "bar".

Henrik

Comment

It is quite possible that this was worn by a young boy while playing "army", who knows?, it is what it is and the bar has been a part of it's life so what's the harm in keeping it this way?

Chuck

Comment

There's been a fair amount of discussion of this type, and others like it, over in Imperial. You could move it there, or re-post it.

In my personal opinion it is extremely unlikely to have been a propaganda piece.

I think it's more likely a theatrical or film prop. Another plausible theory suggests it could be a souvenir, made (and sold for profit to soldiers of the conquering armies) in France, or in Austria, or even in Germany. I also find this idea highly possible. Some even believe it to be a legitimate period variant, but I doubt this very much.
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X