Inperial Docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inperial Docs

I just picked up a set of documents and medals for a Unterofficer in 17.K.S. Inf. Regt. Nr. 183. They include the Hindenburg, Friedrich August Medaille in Silber, and of course, EK2. This guy must have been Saxon because of the Friedrich August Medaille. The EK and FA document have the same stamp with the regiment number. The FA is dated 12.5.1916 and is signed by a Major and the EK is dated 3.9.1916. and is signed by a Major u. Regt?. - K'd??r. I assume he is the regimental commander. I check my 1926 Honor ranklist and could not find this regiment. I found Sachen regiment 182. I also checked my 1914 Sachen ranglist and could not find this regiment. I want to makke sure that this regiment existed and who the commander was. Any help is greatly appreciated. As soon as I get pics of the docs I post them. The EK doc is really great! Thanks
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Hello Paul,

IR 183 was a war-raised Saxon unit. It was a part of the 192. Infanterie-Division.

Regards,
    Jan

Comment

Thanks Jan

Thanks

Originally posted by AOK4
      Hello Paul,

IR 183 was a war-raised Saxon unit. It was a part of the 192. Infanterie-Division.

Regards,
      Jan

Comment

Ir 183

Jan beat me to it while I was trying to listen to the news and type at the same time.

IR 183 was raised near Lille by Saxon 19th Army Corps on 21 May 1915. It was initially assigned to 183rd Infantry Brigade, which became part of 183rd Infantry Division in June 1916. In late October 1916, it was transferred to 192nd Infantry Brigade, part of 192nd Infantry Division (itself established June 1916).

The regiment's losses were 51 officers and 1950 NCOs and other ranks.

In May 1915, the regimental CO was Oberstleutnant Schultze (from IR 134, KIA 9 July 1916), battalion commanders were I. Major Leonhardt (from IR 139), II. Hauptmann Köhler (from IR 179) and III. Hauptmann Kahmann (from IR 133).

/David

Comment

Thanks David

Thanks for the help David. The FA document was signed by Leonhardt. It is any easy signiture to make out. The signiture on the EK doc is really tough. Since it is dated after Schultze died it has to be the next commander. The 1926 Honor Ranklist does not have the 183IR list, but I do find Schultze name listed as having died while CO of 183IR. I will post a pic of the signiture on the EK doc later.

Comment

Glenn, or anyone else with volume 6 of "Deutschlands Heere bis 1918" by Voigt, will probably chime in and give you the other names. I only have volume 5, which ends at IR 182.

My info came from "Die Sachsen im Felde 1914-1918" and Busche's Formationsgeschichte.

How difficult are the Saxon Ranglisten to find and how much do they cost? Are there various editions, like for the January and May 1914 Prussian Rangliste, with differences in content?

/David

Comment

Ir. 183

David and Paul,

unfortunately "Deutschlands Heere bis 1918" only deals with the prewar regular units, so no help there. I'll have a root round and see if I can him elsewhere. It might be easier after we have seen the scan.

The various editions of the "Rangliste der Königlich Sächsischen Armee für das Jahr ...." at least have the officers first names which is very heplful! They are are however much less easily found than the Prussian lists.

Regards
              Glenn

Comment

Hello,

I have the regimental history and did a quick check:
                I don't have the dates, but there is one page with the regimental commanders (I presume): Oberstlt. Schultze, Oberstlt Fritz von Kirchbach, Major Freiherr von Welck and Major Adolf von Zeschau.
                Losses were 917 killed, 3754 wounded and 1590 missing.

Regards,
                Jan

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Whoops

Glenn,

Thanks for pointing out the fact that the Deutschlands Heere series does not include the wartime-raised units. After I had switched off my computer yesterday, it occured to me that my reference to volume 6 might not be right.

Jan,

Are there any regiments for which you do not have a history?

The loss figures I quoted are from Busche's "Formationsgeschichte der deutschen Infanterie im ersten Weltkrieg", which I have considered to be well researched and reliable until now. I have just checked it again, and the entry indicates that the information is taken from the regimental history, which Busche also lists in the bibliography he had available to him when he wrote the book. Can you explain the discrepancy?

Many thanks in advance,

David

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of gaps in my collection of regimental histories (and with the prices still going up, it's hard to fill such a gap every now and then).
                      I have no idea where Busche got his information about the losses, I gave them as they are mentioned in the regimental history (and I have checked to see if I hadn't made a mistake).

Regards,
                      Jan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X