Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI German Bayonet?

Greetings all,
    A friend of mine has come across this bayonet. I told him that I believe it to be WWI German. I was hoping to get some opinions from yall.
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Hi,

Looks to me like a bayonet for Mannlicher. Could be German... or Austrian, or Hungarian... By chance, can you read markings on it?
    The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Markings

It is marked as follows:
      M 5380
      And on the blade: SIMSON & Co. SUHL
      Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
      All the best,
      Chris

Comment

My Opinion

I am no expert, but I think you have a nice WWI era German dress bayonet. Probably a 60-70 dollar value. Would be more obviously if you had the sheath, I dont suppose you do and just didnt picture it?

Comment

Sorry

Sorry, sadly, the sheath was not with the bayonet, but my friend did get a fairly nice deal on it.
          Thanks
          All the best,
          Chris

Comment

It's a S(eitengewehr) 71/84, adopted by Prussia, Saxony and Württemberg in January 1884.

Is there an acceptance mark on the spine? It'd be a crowned inital over a 2 digit number.

Comment

No

Sorry, but I see no stamp on the spine of the blade. Does that indicate a reproduction or something else less negative?
              Thanks
              All the best,
              Chris

Comment

No, not a repro or anything negative. Most likely a contract piece. The M5380 isn't a German unit mark. Possibly Turkish or Argentine. Still a nice piece and fairly scarce model..

Comment

This "Seitengewehr" was used from turkish Army. They grind off all the german stamps. Look at the rust. I think you can see a welded seam because the difference between socket and barrel from the turkish rifle was bigger as from german weapons.

Comment

I got a bayonet like that with sheath, its marked 494 A on the sheath, what could that be? the A is larger then the other numbers.
                    Also in the wood of the handle HDA is engraved.
                    I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
                    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
                    My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

It is a german made spanish 1893 mauser bayonet,almost identical to the german 71/84,except that the muzzle ring is much higher than the german or turk models.
                      Jim

Comment

Well, mine is a bit differend, its a real 71/84 i think, like you said the ring differs on mine, any idea what the 494 A can be on the sheath
                        I'll post pictures later but mine looks like this one:
                        http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germanc...doa%201116.jpg

I found that image via google on this site:
                        http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germanc...a/bayonets.htm
                        Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.

Comment

Oke here are some pictures of mine.

It has been cleaned and polished, i think because it was rusty once.
                          So because of that, most markings are gone.

the wood is a bit cracked but, can't be moved.

Here a close up, read what i have written in the picture.

No idea how i must call this part, but it has a marking on it, could be "18" but i don't think so, any idea?

And as last, close up of the sheath, 494 A stamped on it.

Any opinions are welcome

Comment

Rick,
                            Yours is a Belgian model 24 export.Most likely exported to South America.The markings are most likely arsenal or rack numbers from what ever country imported them.

Jim

Comment

Oke thanks, i can't find much about them, what kind of rifle does it go on?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X