Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonial "Elephant" Badge

Hi Everyone,
    I don't venture in here too often although I am starting to appreciate the Imperial awards. (Esp. the enameled ones.) I'd like it if I can get some opinions from ya'll on this badge. I have always liked them but don't know enough about them to form am sure opinion. Don't have this one in hand but the finish has a good patina. I'll post pics of this one and of the one sold on Detlev's site last week. If the new owner or Detlev would like me to take that one off, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jeremiah
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jeremiahcable; 03-31-2004, 10:23 PM.

First Badge.

Here's the first.....Having a little trouble. Will try again in a few.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jeremiahcable; 03-31-2004, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Back

Da' Back
      Attached Files

Comment

Detlev's

Here's the one from Detlev's site.....Feel free to give any opinions.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Jeremiah,
          The one from Detlev is mine. No problem with the pic from this end. I'll post some closeups when it arrives,

Comment

Jeremiah,
            I will admit that I am far from an expert, but the first badge looks like a poorly cast copy of the one fron Detlev. Total loss of definition and I think I can see where the sand left inprints in some of the letters. Easy to compare when looking at the two. I would not buy this one.

CRBeery

Comment

Originally posted by CRBeery
              Jeremiah,
              I will admit that I am far from an expert, but the first badge looks like a poorly cast copy of the one fron Detlev. Total loss of definition and I think I can see where the sand left inprints in some of the letters. Easy to compare when looking at the two. I would not buy this one.

CRBeery
              Hi Jeremiah,

i thought exactly the same. Also IMO this is a Copy!

best,
              Gerd

Comment

the first one, i don't like - but the second is good (the bad thing is that it is repaired - but original)
                christian

Comment

Wow....

Kind of an overwhelming response! Does anyone have a known good original to compare? Any more pics you can post when you get the badge would be great Tom. Thanks to everyone for the help so far. Any more opinions or insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
                  Jeremiah

Comment

I have to agree with the others...the first example appears to be a cast copy. These are found in the German WWI section on ebay with great regularity and are listed by the same seller(s) who flog many repro EKs and other items. They appear to be originating in Poland...or perhaps further East?

I'd also like to see more original examples of this interesting badge. Does anyone have info on what criteria entitlement was based on? I have an general sense but would like clarification on a couple points.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

here i will post mine.
                      the left hand one is the light weight aluminium version and the other one is the hevy buntmetall version (like the one detlev sold).
                      my buntmetall has also a pin repair -seems, that they were not attached that good!
                      Attached Files

Comment

and the other side (sorry for the pic - but i use a scanner and no digital camera)
                        Attached Files

Comment

I picked it up today.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a closeup of the elephant's head.
                            Attached Files

Comment

nice one!

is it also a heavy buntmetall badge, isn't it?

and also repaired pin - does someone own one with no rapairs to the pin?
                              the pin attachment was really bad - because the most have repaired pins.
                              but on the aluminium badges are mostly no repairs to the pin!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X