German Navy Parade under arms in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Navy Parade under arms in the USA

This card has been in my collection for years and has always fascinated me. It shows German Imperial sailors with rifles and battle flag flying parading on the street of a large American city. The name "Gately's" is on the store behind the flag. Clusters of American flags decorate the same building so I would guess that the date is July 4th. Below the battle flag is a policeman but the badge is not clear enough to provide any clues. So my question is, can anyone say what city, year or ship the sailors are from? Will attach the picture as soon as I can down size it.Thanks, Fred
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fred Borgmann; 03-28-2004, 09:52 AM.

--Send me the picture full size if you can, I'd like to help (when I can, been a little busy lately).
    --My Email is Jgdpanzer@aol.com

Comment

German Navy Parade in a US City

I witnessed such a parade, and thought I had the answer, but when I saw the picture and the accompanying text I knew I did not have the answer.

In 1983 the German Society of Pennsylvania was celebrating the 300th anniversary of German immigration to what would become the US. On a Saturday we held the annual "Steuben Day Parade" down Chestnut Street. The West German destroyer Hessen was visiting, and a formation of sailors of the ship paraded down the street, under arms, led by the 140-strong band of the West German General Staff, which had been flown in. They marched under the US and German flags, and of course the band carried one of those magnificent rather pagan standards with ox-horns, tassels, etc., which must have come down from the Roman eagles carried by their legions.

I must say that many people were visibly shocked to see several hundred armed German sailors and soldiers march down a main street with German flags to the fantastic military music of what was, I imagine, the premier band of the Bundeswehr.

That night we had a black-tie dinner for 2000, with music provided by the same 140 piece band. The head table was over 100' long, with so many notables that Nobel laureates sat with the masses. President Regan canceled at the last minute and sent Vice President Bush (I).

Quite an evening for Teutophiles.

Bob Lembke

Comment

--Fred, it says "Gately's" in every other window up on the second floor.
        I can't make out what is says in the 'in between' windows.
        --Seems like it says "On (something)". Can you make it out in the original picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M
          --Fred, it says "Gately's" in every other window up on the second floor.
          I can't make out what is says in the 'in between' windows.
          --Seems like it says "On (something)". Can you make it out in the original picture?
          Bill it has two lines where I can partially read the words "on credit----weekly". Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Lembke
            I witnessed such a parade, and thought I had the answer, but when I saw the picture and the accompanying text I knew I did not have the answer.

In 1983 the German Society of Pennsylvania was celebrating the 300th anniversary of German immigration to what would become the US. On a Saturday we held the annual "Steuben Day Parade" down Chestnut Street. The West German destroyer Hessen was visiting, and a formation of sailors of the ship paraded down the street, under arms, led by the 140-strong band of the West German General Staff, which had been flown in. They marched under the US and German flags, and of course the band carried one of those magnificent rather pagan standards with ox-horns, tassels, etc., which must have come down from the Roman eagles carried by their legions.

I must say that many people were visibly shocked to see several hundred armed German sailors and soldiers march down a main street with German flags to the fantastic military music of what was, I imagine, the premier band of the Bundeswehr.

That night we had a black-tie dinner for 2000, with music provided by the same 140 piece band. The head table was over 100' long, with so many notables that Nobel laureates sat with the masses. President Regan canceled at the last minute and sent Vice President Bush (I).

Quite an evening for Teutophiles.

Bob Lembke
            Thanks Bob, I sure wish I could have seen that parade and heard the music. Fred

Comment

Gately's

Guys;

Took 30 seconds and did a search on "Gately's" on the internet, and there is an on-line store that decends from a department store in "Chicagoland" (Chicago?). Only problem, the store was founded in 1917. If that was it, there must be a real story here.

Four great-grandchildren or whatever are still involved in the store, and they make a folksy affect. (Seem to be based in Colorado now.)

They have an address customerservice@gatelys.com . Why not send them the photo and the question. I suspect that 1) that is not the Gately's in the picture, and 2) they know who it is, what other Gately's existed. You probably can reach the decendents of the founder, with an interesting appeal.

Bob Lembke

Comment

--Could this be it? I came up with a 'Gately's Furniture' in Alpena Michigan. The building looks similar, but I couldn't find any other shots of it. It's been around since 1903, soooo. Maybe? Here's the website too...http://www.centerbuilding.com/index2.htm
                --Oh, I don't know the significance, but they are marching along trolley-car tracks in the photo.

Comment

Sorry but I cannot make out ANYTHING in the picture the size it is:

certainly not words, nor American flags, can't tell how either the sailors or the civilians are dressed.

It would seem unlikely to be anywhere away from the coasts, and I'd suspect more likely had to do with returning from the Boxer Rebellion 1901-ish than later. Only the military equipment and civilian clothing can tell that.

Comment

"It would seem unlikely to be anywhere away from the coasts"
                    --I would tend to agree, just posting my findings based on 'Gately's'.

Comment

Prior to WWI, the German government sent a very large submarine on a sort of "round the world" good will tour and it stopped at a number of American port cities. There were even special "unofficial" stamps printed to prepay the cost of sending mail or small packages via the vessel. I even remember seeing some commemorative plates that were produced to commemorate the cruise. Perhaps your parading sailors had something to do with that trip?

Jim

Comment

--Could this be it? I came up with a 'Gately's Furniture' in Alpena Michigan. The building looks similar, but I couldn't find any other shots of it. It's been around since 1903, soooo. Maybe? Here's the website too...http://www.centerbuilding.com/index2.htm
                        --Oh, I don't know the significance, but they are marching along trolley-car tracks in the photo.
                        Thanks Bill, The second floor windows are a perfect match. Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Lundström
                          Sorry but I cannot make out ANYTHING in the picture the size it is:

certainly not words, nor American flags, can't tell how either the sailors or the civilians are dressed.

It would seem unlikely to be anywhere away from the coasts, and I'd suspect more likely had to do with returning from the Boxer Rebellion 1901-ish than later. Only the military equipment and civilian clothing can tell that.
                          Sorry about the small size but to get it on this site it has to be shrunk to nearly pinhead size. I'll send you a full scan if you give me an email address. Fred

Comment

Fred,
                            --I already sent Rick a photo, let's see what he can make out on the uniforms or other accoutrements...

Comment

Fred,
                              --I already sent Rick a photo, let's see what he can make out on the uniforms or other accoutrements...
                              Thanks Bill.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X