griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Kreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst in real SILVER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Kreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst in real SILVER!

I was lucky to get this one at ebay. Does someone know the history behind this variant? I read somewere these were for VIPs.
    Attached Files

"800" silver stamped in the ring.
    Attached Files

Comment

Back:
      Attached Files

Comment

Jens,

Very nice indeed! I have never such crosses in silver... interesting! You always find nice and rare items on ebay!

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

Thanks Claudio. There are three variants listed in the OEK catalog. Standart in zink and two rare variants in aluminium and silver.

Comment

You lucky dog! First I have ever seen of this listed variant.

Do you think it has been cleaned? Or are the edges polished and the inner surfaces frosted? I'm surprised no effort was made to chemically oxydize it to match the gray finish of the normal zink variety.

And here I've been pawing GRAY ones all these years looking for tiny silver hallmarks....

Comment

And here I've been pawing GRAY ones all these years looking for tiny silver hallmarks....

I don't think that it was cleaned. Some parts are a little bit polished but the most of the cross has a very even finish.

Comment

Originally posted by JensF.

I don't think that it was cleaned. Some parts are a little bit polished but the most of the cross has a very even finish.
                Looks great Jens! Have you weighed it and can you do a specific gravity test on it? That would determine if it is silver plated or solid silver. Fred

Comment

Due the silver mark it should be real silver. The big and the small rings are both soldered and not open like the zinky one. And it is very heavy! A zink cross weights about 18,5 g, the silver cross about 25 g.

Comment

Great find, Jens!
                    Antti

Comment

Due the silver mark it should be real silver. The big and the small rings are both soldered and not open like the zinky one. And it is very heavy! A zink cross weights about 18,5 g, the silver cross about 25 g.
                      That is great Jens. The heavier weight is a confirmation that it is silver rather than just plated. Fred

Comment

To complete this, here is the aluminium variant:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Back. Weight is only 8 g!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I was waiting for that one.....

Nice crosses, Jens!

Comment

Back. Weight is only 8 g!
                              I wonder if the aluminum version was an experimental trial piece? Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X