Comment

Another.
      Ashley
      Attached Files

Comment

last one

Ashley

Comment

I don't think the EKII shown above is "onyx" as descibed by Previtera. The example shown has the same core constuction details as the 1870/71 Women's and Maiden's Cross. This is a black glass enamel covering a silver core. The silver core has raised crown and date devices that are flush with the surface of the enamel when it is ground and struck smooth. The crown was then engraved with further details. The same process is used on other medals and decorations including the TR era Mother's Cross.

I am still sceptical of a ture "onyx" cored EK.

All the best,

Tony
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
            I don't think the EKII shown above is "onyx" as descibed by Previtera.Tony
            Interestingly, the 1870 war merit cross for ladies is ALSO described by Previtera as 'ONYX' - and the one on Detlevs site at the moment, described as 'Black Enamled Centre...'

Man, it just gets worse and worse......
            Last edited by Biro; 03-29-2004, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
                Yup!
                For Sale....

'The Iron Time'....

Comment

Don't get me wrong. It's a wonderfully illustrated book on EKs. The caveat is that some of the captions and descriptions either weren't proof read by someone with a discerning eye and experience or are just incorrect. It is still a good volume to have just don't believe everything that is written. The same goes for almost every reference to some degree. I have two copies myself. One signed and numbered for my permanent reference library and one using copy that is for use. I do put my money where my mouth is for those that think I'm just bashing Steve's lavishly illustrated work. The pictures themselves tell a much better story if you have an analytical mind set. Look with your eyes let your mind understand and then form your own opinion. That's how we learn.

Tony

P.S. How much do you want for it?
                  Last edited by Tiger 1; 03-29-2004, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X