Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhibition in Gheluvelt, 2002

Hello,

I overhauled my website completely (it's still only in German though) and added a series of pictures from the exhibition we (I together with Philippe Oosterlinck (Hooge Crater Museum) and Frankie Van Rossem) put together.

I think you all may be interested as there was a lot of German WW1 militaria on display: http://users.skynet.be/bk230381/gheluvelt/index.html

Regards,
    Jan

Jan, I've already commented on your excellent display in the collections area of the forum (so if you've seen it you know by now that my Grandfather fought on the British side at Gheluvelt in Oct/Nov 1914). My question to the forum is: does anyone have an order of battle for the German side during this period. I'd like to know who my Grandfather was fighting against and who, ultimately, made him a guest of the Kaiser for the next 4 years.
    Once again, great work!
    Geoff

Comment

Geoff,

When the Queen's were fighting near Kruiseecke Cabt. on 26 October 1914 they were facing RIR 242 and RIR 247 (although parts of the Queen's stayed in reserve West of Gheluvelt. On the 27th/28th October 1914, they were engaged further to the South, where they were facing parts of the XV. Armeekorps.

The Queen's were engaged near the railway Ypres-Roulers around Zonnebeke before the 26 October. My guess is that they were fighting the 2nd Reserve-Ersatz-Brigade (or something like that, RER 3 and RER 4) and parts of the 52nd Reserve-Division there.

Regards,
      Jan

Comment

Terrific information, Jan, thanks very much.

The regimental history of the Queen's in the Great War only dedicates 2 or 3 pages to Gheluvelt, from what sources do you get your information? They seem to be quite a bit more detailed than what I've been able to find.

Regards,
        Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by AOK4
          / a series of pictures from the exhibition we (I together with Philippe Oosterlinck (Hooge Crater Museum) and Frankie Van Rossem) put together.
          Jan, That is just incredible. I will be in Germany in May, but everytime I go to a museum the exhibition is on Bavarian Postal uniforms or something as exciting. Is there any chance of being e-mailed some photos and information on the Flieger display (#16) and the Telegraph display #29? Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Greeves
            Terrific information, Jan, thanks very much.

The regimental history of the Queen's in the Great War only dedicates 2 or 3 pages to Gheluvelt, from what sources do you get your information? They seem to be quite a bit more detailed than what I've been able to find.

Regards,
            Geoff
            Since I wrote a book about Gheluvelt and I know the German side of the fighting in Flanders very well, I can find such information fairly easy. I also have detailed maps from the 7th Division history and the British official history.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Tony & Kaiser
              Jan, That is just incredible. I will be in Germany in May, but everytime I go to a museum the exhibition is on Bavarian Postal uniforms or something as exciting. Is there any chance of being e-mailed some photos and information on the Flieger display (#16) and the Telegraph display #29? Tony
              I'll have a look if I have more detailed pictures.
              There isn't much to explain about the displays. The Flieger display was a cabinet full of Flieger objects, parts of propellors, equipment (even one Gotha tyre from the Ghent area), manual, pictures, badges etc.
              We tried to show a telephone station in one of the two bunker rooms. Using old pictures, we tried to rebuild one with original equipment (how one would probably have looked like).

Jan

Comment

Just found this thread. Very nice pictures and items Jan!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X