Pin question on nice EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pin question on nice EK1

Here's one that I have a question about. Here's the front.

Here's an overview of the reverse. Notice that the catch has a period repair.

Comment

Here's the question. Do you think that the pin is original to the cross, or was it replaced when the catch was repaired? I tend to think that the pin IS original, due to the crudeness of the repair job on the catch. The hinge area would look sloppier, but is pretty clean. The only thing that makes me wonder are the scratches evident around the hinge. Opinions?

Comment

One more view. Hope this isn't too boring!

Comment

Looks like the whole pin/hinge/catch is a home made repair perhaps. Wonder how it came that all the fittings were either broken or removed? The cross itself is obviously a well made silver private purchase.

Comment

i'm, too.
            think its a replacement.
            but i think only a very well "metal worker" could repair it in such a nice condition at home - compare it to some other horrible repairs you will find on the reverse of badges!
            christian

Comment

I guess my point is that the repair job on the catch is crappy, but the hinge area looks better. Perhaps it got repaired twice?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Stahlhut
                Notice that the catch has a period repair.

In case any one scoffs at the repair claiming that a "jeweler would not be that sloppy", that is because there are usually not jewelers in combat zones. I busted my glasses in Bosnia when my head smashed into the commander's site and we fixed them in the back of the Gunnery Technicians carrier with a soldering stick. Kinda looked like Eric's pin!

Comment

I agree that it looks repaired, but...IMHO it adds some character to this cross. It's quite possible that it was repaired on 2 separate occasions, and perhaps by different individuals, or at the vary least under different circumstances/locations.

@ Tony: Hope that black beret covers the forehead zipper!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X