EK I 1914 --- Is this a correct hinge and pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK I 1914 --- Is this a correct hinge and pin

See this posting, as I do not have a picture hosting site to post here, last pic. thanks for your help-- Vic. I am here to learn.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45484

here you are

regards kay
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Kay, thanks !! Is that hinge and needle correct for 1914 WW I ?

Comment

I wood think replacement ,,,,

regards kay

Comment

Hi Vic

I did see your cross on GMIC and follow the thread, very interesting.

I agree with Kay on the hinge/pin being a replacement, looks to be period done.

I've taken the liberty of trying to enlarge the area around the hinge, you can see the old solder where the piece has been replaced.

It was a nice job and it doesn't detract from the cross at all.

Chris
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey, Thanks for your responses on this piece. I really like this engraving work. I know faking these crosses is almost a cottage industry, but I really think this one is right and period done. I have seen too much modern work there is no comparison.

Comment

Kriztof:

I have posted a 600 dpi pic of the pen assembly on GMIC

Vic

MAX show --- I will be working with Tom Johnson and I will bring this badge along for anyone that wants a hands on inspection just for fun. I honestly do not think you will see this kind of work very often.
                Vic
                Last edited by Vic Diehl; 09-05-2010, 09:11 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Imo an original cross with what appears to be original engraving (I certainly like it) in a nice original case, however imo the hardware is not a period replacement (certainly not by a professional/jeweller in the WW1 to 40s period) - way too crude imo and the hinge/pin look like attempted reproductions of TR hardware (or straight from a crude repro TR cross). I'd like to see a better shot of the catch to see if that also has been replaced.

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Mike:

I do not know how to post pics on this site. However I have posted very large pics of the pen assembly on GMIC, for your review/

Vic

Comment

Hi Vic,

I'm always a little reserved against engravings, especially if it is a very special abteilung or regiment. As this is the "1. Kampfwagen abt" it is special. Did you check or search if Feldwebel Fritz Hamm?er (Can't make out if the second m really is an m) did exist in the 1st kampfwagenabteilung?

One thing I noticed (But I cannot look at the high res pictures) , It might also be a little far reached

There is a . behind Feldw. and behind 1. and the other 1. but NOT behind the Abt (and the Okt) Why? I don't think an engraver would forget such a thing.

Just my opinion..

Best regards,
                      Michel

Comment

I like the cross. I don't like the hinge/pin setup. (Period) replacement---maybe.
                        If a replacement, what did it come off of? The pin does not look like any "original"
                        Ek pin that I have seen.

Comment

Morel5000 and gregm, Listen your remarks are indeed welcome. I am a navy dagger collector so badge pens are not in my knowledge area.

Morel5000, I too am always leary of such items from exceeding rare units. However originals, do exist, for example I have two navy flyers daggers from WWI and two named UBoat officers daggers from the same conflict.

So such stuff is out there. But to be sure there is far more bad then good.
                          This engraving has been reviewed under 20 power by more individuals than I. I stand firm that it is genuine and period. Of course I could be wrong, but I have looked at a lot of engraving in nearly 40 years. I am very close friends with a gun engraver, hand work is not always perfect, a period or so is worth looking at, but you must look at the entire engraving. Wear needs to be looked at as well. This piece was worn so much, that the pen probably just came off. I will have it at the Max Show, I am working with Tom Johnson, so stop by and give it a real once over with a good glass.

Research continues on Fritz. I just sent correspondance to his home town and hopfeully it will bear fruit or provide leads. I traced Klaus Lafrenz's U boat dagger the same way all the way to Fehmarn Island and got a return letter from his niece, so such things happen. It takes time to track such a piece down and I have had this piece only a week.

I never toss something in the junk box, thinking oh, that is just too rare to be true. If you have Herman's and my book Deutsche Marinedolche you will see more that one correct piece that is the only one known.

Anyway I am only out a few Mother's crosses, wouldn't you take that risk?
                          Last edited by Vic Diehl; 09-06-2010, 07:51 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Engraved crosses are always a bit suspect however I do like the
                            style of the engraving on this one. If your research does show that
                            Fritz Hammer was indead a tank crewmember in ww1 then this would
                            be a very, very nice cross to have. I look forward to seeing how this
                            turns out.

Comment

Cross is absolutely genuine, but the engraving is suspect IMHO.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X