Unique EKII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique EKII?

This just arrived today. An MEH 3 piece all steel EKII, but with a difference. Apparently there was a glitch in the stamping machine and the planchet was turned 180 degrees and restamped. There's a faint impression of the other details, but the dates are fairly clear. Anyone ever seen the like?
    Attached Files

All steel? Really? Tom, is it magnetic, or was it cast white metal? I have never heard of this before? T

Comment

Yup, steel frame and steel core, both magnetic. I have a normal MEH that's the same. I think they're post-war production made to be sold cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Y
        I think they're post-war production made to be sold cheap.
        Tom,
        I assume this is what comes out of the mould on p. 166 in "The Iron Time"? I was wondering where a solid cast EK2 would come into play, a the book shows the mould, but as far as I can tell, it does not mention them anywhere else. Interesting. T

Comment

Originally posted by Tony & Kaiser
          Tom,
          I assume this is what comes out of the mould on p. 166 in "The Iron Time"? I was wondering where a solid cast EK2 would come into play, a the book shows the mould, but as far as I can tell, it does not mention them anywhere else. Interesting. T
          Tom's example is a three piece EK, with a very surprising core considering how relatively strict quality control was supposed to be. I've never noticed one like it before! Good score, Tom! Any chance of some clearer pics of the core? Also, is the ring on your other MEH not soldered or joined together completely like the one pictured above?

Tony, those one piece cast EKs you are referring to can be noticeably thicker
          than an average EK; when you find one you'll be able to tell right away.

Comment

I've poste a couple HUGE shots: http://www.mypage.ewol.com/wildman/114O Huge.jpg
            http://www.mypage.ewol.com/wildman/114R Huge.jpg They'll be slow to load, but you can see the fine details. The ring on the other MEH is joined, looks seamless. I'll post a pic of Tiger's MEH in the AM.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are Tony's. The EKI is one piece steel copper and then silver plated and marked 800 The 2Kl is a 3 piece all steel like mine.
              Attached Files

Comment

Good eye!

Tom,

Congratulations on your great find! Good eye! It pays to look closely at even the most "common" items sometimes. Very cool.

Just a slight correction.

My MEH EKI that you posted is three piece construction also. Both the EKI and the EKII are the standard three piece construction then copper flashed followed by silver plating with the core painted black. The weird thing is that the pin on the EKI is marked 800. Maybe a little subterfuge at the time of original marketing. It must of looked just as good as a genuine silver type when new. Like you said it's possibile these "steelies" may have been sold during the hard times just after the war in the twenties. Just speculating about this though. Who knows?

I'll have to look at it more closely at mine to check if there's any double strike visable.

Best regards and good hunting!

Tony
                Last edited by Tiger 1; 03-02-2004, 11:59 AM.
                An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

An all-steel EK? Well, now we have a true Iron Cross here! Great find Tom!
                  Antti

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Y
                    I've poste a couple HUGE shots
                    You weren't kidding. I printed it off and am using it for a tablecloth.

I am a little confused how I would tell (by sight) if an EK2 had a steel frame, or it was a tarnished silver frame?

Comment

"I am a little confused how I would tell (by sight) if an EK2 had a steel frame, or it was a tarnished silver frame?" [/QUOTE]

Tony,

The best way is to test the various areas with a magnet. Just be careful in not confusing the core's pull use a small magnet at the edges. Otherwise the steelies that Tom shows have a copper flash on the steel to help the silverplate adhere better.

Tony
                      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X