CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battle Report To The Prussian King-la Belle Alliance 1815!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle Report To The Prussian King-la Belle Alliance 1815!

My dad got this back in the 70's.
    In it's writing, it tells about the Prussian/Selesian victory over Napoleon at La Belle Alliance and Plancenoit, the capture of Napoleon's personal carriage-containing Napoleon's hat, a sword, and various accounterments, etc. The document itself was written by General Major Freiherr Johann August Friedrich Hiller von Gärtringen(1772-1856), Commander of the 15th; 1st & 2nd Silesian Landwehr. He kept this copy for himself and sent another copy of it to the King of Prussia to inform him of what happened.
    What would something like this be worth?
    If you want some closer scansor have questions, feel free to ask!
    Karl

More pics

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

And Hiller's signature
          Attached Files

Comment

--Yow, now that's something I'd like!!! I've got a letter signed by Blucher, it's one of my prize possessions! I have a link on the other computer somewhere, I'll try to find something out for you, but give me a little time...
            Last edited by Bill M; 02-26-2004, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Now that is real history.

I have no idea of it's value, but it must be significant. Good luch with it.
              Joe

Comment

--I am sure that I don't have to clarify for anyone that this is Waterloo that we're talking about, right???

Comment

No, Bill, thats not neccesary.. I'd commit murder to get my hands on a document like that!
                  Antti

Comment

The experts on signatures and letters in the US is a place called Profiles in History. They have auctions and a catalog of letters from US Presidents and foreign documents. Charles Hamilton consulted with them until his death.

Comment

Remarkable! I have no specific information, but could suggest a course of action that would allow you to do well by doing good. (Anvice is cheap!)

It would be useful to see if the document is known, in light of the destruction in Germany in WW II. Yours may be only remaining copy, or the other is hopelessly mis-filed, tucked away, etc. and is effectively lost. I suspect that the most likely repository of the other copy, or, failing that, a source for good (and free) advice would be the Prussian State Library in Berlin, of possibly the Deutsches Buecherei Leipzig in (surprise) Leipzig.

I would look into the question of if it is known, where, etc., and then consider providing copies to a number of major libraries in Germany and elsewhere. In this way you would insure its availability to researchers and historians in the future, and at the same time increase the knowledge of it, probably driving up interest in it and it's value. The latter effect, if it occurs, should take several years to develop.

Quite a wonderful document, and an interesting responsibility.

Bob Lembke

Comment

The first place to look is with Prof. Peter Hofschrorer c/o Greenhill Books Ltd.

Greenhill Books
                        Lionel Leventhal House
                        1 Russell Gardens
                        London, NW11 9NN
                        www.greenhillbooks.com

Also, I would contact Phillip Haythornwaite.
                        Peter wrote a book a few years ago called "1815:The Waterloo Campaign:The German Victory". You can guess the thesis. I don't see this report in the bibliography-so odds are it went up in the raid on Potsdam in 1945. I think it is unique. I can't quite make it out, but references to the battle are amazing.
                        I'd estimate $5-$7000 easily.
                        To give you an idea-an unpublished 3 page letter describing the battle of Salamaca went a few years ago for 2,500 POUNDS.
                        I would also have it translated and published in the Waterloo Society Journal-or The Napoleonic Society Journal or MHQ, so as to allow access to this amazing document to the greater masses of the Napoleonic history world.
                        I am agog.
                        Seriously, I would trade most of my collection to own that document.
                        MAy I see alarger scan. I have uploaded and magnified, but still can't see it clearly.

Comment

--I have not found anything on this, anywhere. English speaking references dealing with the Prussian side of the battle are rare. The only one I have is the Hofschrorer book Jeff mentioned, the rest mention them as virtually a footnote (sometimes even derisively).
                          --I have even looked up 'Hiller' in the past as I believe I have his signature on the Blucher letter I mentioned, probably in the capacity of an ADC. At least that is the only name Detlev or I could make it out as being (not the clear signature that is on this document).
                          --This is great, that document goes far beyond being a simple collectors item!

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys!
                            My dad plans on selling it, maybe at auction or maybe one of you here even.
                            We will do everything we can to find the value of this great piece. My dad planned on selling it to the Deutsche Zeughaus in Berlin to go with the hat mentioned in this report's texts, or maybe put it up for auction.
                            I will scan the translation my dad had done years ago and share it with you all.
                            Thanks for the interest
                            Karl Bandow

Comment

Wow Karl,

What a super item, can't wait for the translation,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X