Wilhelm Ernst War Cross of Saxe-Weimar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilhelm Ernst War Cross of Saxe-Weimar

Seeing as I’m not likely to come across a Wilhelm Ernst War Cross of Saxe-Weimar, anytime soon, does anyone know where a filler piece could be obtained? I’m not looking for anything that would fool someone, but rather to place on a uniform of an individual that was awarded this piece? Any help would be appreciated!
    Cheers,
    James

The only company I know of that made an extensive variety of copies of Imperial German orders and decorations is Gode', (absolutely, positively NOTHING to do with the reknowned jeweler Godet in Berlin). This company made rather hideous flat one-side copies of all kinds of Imperial German awards as well as other European awards, some of which are inexpensive enough to make you wonder why they bothered. They are often found on Ebay or at Manion's. I am not sure if they ever made a copy of the Wilhelm Ernst War Cross.

Tim
    "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I know this is a subject that most members would not like to see, as the proliferation of fakes in our hobby is a major concern and the least amount of exposure to it the better. I have a tunic, that is named, and would eventually like to have the appropriate awards that the gentleman was entitled to displayed on the tunic itself. I have seen this particular award on one site, which the last time I looked was not there, but from what has been mentioned in old threads, it was a tad on the high side. Therefore, I was thinking that a filler piece would be the ideal solution. I’m not in town all that often to pick up on any regular auction sites that may run across one. Unless, there is someone out there with a spare one cluttering up their collection, a real one that is! Thanks again Tim!

Cheers,

James

Comment

Gode is the only company that advertises and is still going strong... but there are small LLCs that still make copies and of course there were many. many copies and fakes made in the 1950s-1980s by Souval, Kleitman (who had Godet dies from his wife) and others. If you pick up copies of the BDOS magazine you'll see many articles about fakes. When looking at the high end stuff I always assume it's a guilty and then try to prove it innocent.

Comment

Does Gode have a website, or, is there someone that carries their stuff that has items that can be viewed online?
          Cheers,
          James

Comment

Originally posted by McCulloh
            Gode is the only company that advertises and is still going strong... but there are small LLCs that still make copies and of course there were many. many copies and fakes made in the 1950s-1980s by Souval, Kleitman (who had Godet dies from his wife) and others. If you pick up copies of the BDOS magazine you'll see many articles about fakes. When looking at the high end stuff I always assume it's a guilty and then try to prove it innocent.
            Just wondering if anyone can direct me to where I can obtain a copy, or an original? Are there any online dealers for museum copies? Help!!

Cheers,
            James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X