Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 or Post?

Gentlemen

I would like to solicit your opinions about the production time of this type of cross. Seems to be a 50/50 split so far.
    Maybe we can put our collective heads together and reach a conclusion.

I feel they were manufactured during the war 14-18. My reasoning for this is..

1) The materials used on this model consist of Iron core, Copper plated, Brass core and Brass frame, Iron core with Brass frame.
    This suggests to me that they were produced in various materials because of shortage. Another possibility would be to avoid rust in the field which, wouldn't be an issue during peace time manufacture unless the Navy theory is true.

2) I've seen this type of cross (including mine) that have a repaired catch resembling other (field) repairs done during WW1.

3) The general style of the cross.

here's a photo of two types, mine which I already posted and the other is a Copper plated example.

Looking forward to hearing everyones opinion.

Chris
    Attached Files

I'm pretty sure these are way post WW1. Honestly I have no idea why there is some doubt coming up recently in this...

Brass is highly unusual for late WW1 awards. They changed from brass to zink, war metal, steel etc. on many, many awards. With none they did it the other way. That started post WW1 when copper was no more needed for war reasons.

I have a group to a navy officer that contains two EK1: one like these, and a flat one with silver frame, highly worn. He's still wearing the falt one in a ca. 1936 to 1938 picture... so we can imagine when he bought his vaulted, brass silvered cross...
    sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

I've had a couple of these crosses for many years. When I first posted
      my new "brass" cross, I was told by a member with far more knowledge
      than myself that these were most likely not brass but tombac.

Comment

I think that I may have been partially responsible for stirring up some trouble on this question. Let me clarify my thoughts.

I don't believe that the non-magnetic (brass) crosses could be wartime. The reason I stated that I thought some of them could be wartime is because I think I have seen this same frame, struck in real silver, with a magnetic iron core. Interestingly, it also had the same pin commonly seen on these brass-centered crosses (slightly swollen with a folded sheet metal hinge). I have been on the lookout for another such cross to buy and confirm or dismiss my suspicions, which are all I have to go on at the moment.

I don't think the examples shown in this thread are likely to have been made earlier than the '20s.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
          I think that I may have been partially responsible for stirring up some trouble on this question. Let me clarify my thoughts.

I don't believe that the non-magnetic (brass) crosses could be wartime. The reason I stated that I thought some of them could be wartime is because I think I have seen this same frame, struck in real silver, with a magnetic iron core. Interestingly, it also had the same pin commonly seen on these brass-centered crosses (slightly swollen with a folded sheet metal hinge). I have been on the lookout for another such cross to buy and confirm or dismiss my suspicions, which are all I have to go on at the moment.

I don't think the examples shown in this thread are likely to have been made earlier than the '20s.
          You didn't stir any trouble Trevor, it was also something I've often wondered about. I've heard other people say that they are from the 20's but there was never any "real proof" as far as I'm aware, just hearsay?

I don't understand the problem of people getting upset over asking or re-asking the question. More info becomes available over time as more people delve deeper into the subject. That's why were on a forum after all.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by kriztof View Post
            More info becomes available over time as more people delve deeper into the subject. That's why were on a forum after all.
            I agree, Chris. I look forward to further discussion of this "Deumer type" cross in the future, as new examples surface and new information comes to light.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X