No announcement yet.

Nice EK I Set with Package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just spoken with an EK collector buddy who told me that in "The Iron Time" book, this model of case is referred to as a post war type.

The cross is not directly stated as post war but implied more so.

I don't know if this helps or adds to the mystery.

Chris

Comment

I doubt these crosses are war time and rather think these three are nice pieces, but not a set. The case might as well be about 30s prodution as I believe the cross to be, while the box might be from same wearer's awarded croos.

They did mix up with awarded and purchased crosses, cases and boxes. Who would have cared?
      sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

cross and possibly case are 1930s production, the outer carton does not match- look at the difference in size in that first photo- the case would rattle around in there!

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
          Hi Chris,

I could say the same for myself. There is a bit of uncertainty, but I'm almost sure.
          What other WWI wartime cross shows this type of pin/hinge?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
            What other WWI wartime cross shows this type of pin/hinge?
            Hi Brian

I was thinking more of the repaired catch on the same model that I have. I've seen similar repairs done on wartime examples and the repair seems to have been done not by a jeweler, possibly by other less professional hands LOL

I haven't seen too many TR EK's with this type/style of repair which, led me to think that it "may" have been a WW1 field job?

Chris

Comment

Here's the one I was talking about, now I can post photos LOL

This model sure screams war time manufacture to me but...
              Attached Files

Comment

these crosses are 1930 production all the way ,,,,

you can find the same with swastika and similar pin system in the WW2 section ...
                the schinkel ek1 (A type ) early period 1939/1942 period

the package is missing the red seal to...

fore me it looks like a put together deal ,,,,
                (no matter what ever this cross is screaming )

sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by kriztof View Post
                  Here's the one I was talking about, now I can post photos LOL

This model sure screams war time manufacture to me but...
                  Yes it's definitely wartime to my eyes, except for the obvious repairs.

Comment

Second world war?

Best regards,
                    Michel

Comment

Just to clarify: what period do the cases in #1 and #21 belong to? I have an identical one and always thought it to be wartime (pre-1919)?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Montgomery Burns View Post
                        these crosses are 1930 production all the way ,,,,

you can find the same with swastika and similar pin system in the WW2 section ...
                        the schinkel ek1 (A type ) early period 1939/1942 period

the package is missing the red seal to...

fore me it looks like a put together deal ,,,,
                        (no matter what ever this cross is screaming )
                        sorry.

Please, don't be Sorry Monty, we're here to have fun and a good discussion. I have always wondered where the theory or proof came from that this particular type was produced late after the war or even 2 yrs after.

With the vast variety of variations made during the war I found it hard to place this particular cross in a particular post war period solely based on the hinge. That seems to be the main point of doubt. Not that it's really important in the big picture, I love em all.

For example, here's another strange variation. What period would you guys put this one into?

Chris
                        Attached Files

Comment

What is this for a Discussion, Guys ?!.

In my eyes there are all IC's 1914 !!.
                          There are a lot of number of IC 1914 during the period of WW1.
                          Why should the manufacture some years later change the manufacturing process and materials when the same company during the WW1 has made the same Cross.

The IC set which I have shown you here comes from a respectable family, not from a other dealer or from a collector. All parts I bought there I found in a metal box which can also be found on my website. I have no parts from the time of the Third Reich can be found there.

I read here: not belong together ! Who should have changed it ??.
                          I read here: the paper package has a different format ! Is that unusual ??

Greetings Andi

Comment

there are so many ek's 1914 produced after the war ,,,,

as,,,,
                            so many ek's taken off captured soldiers ,,,or just thrown in to the river before capturing ,,,,,,there so many GI's or other allied soldiers screaming fore memorabilia ( plundering the German soldier naked ),,,,,that maybe even the family don't knows if the soldier replaced it ,,or partially ,,,before they had it .

and aim sorry to say,,,but
                            family's are not more reliable as a common dealer .

(often unconscionably I must say).( without bad intentions I mean )

Comment

Originally posted by Montgomery Burns View Post
                              there are so many ek's 1914 produced after the war ,,,,

as,,,,
                              so many ek's taken off captured soldiers ,,,or just thrown in to the river before capturing ,,,,,,there so many GI's or other allied soldiers screaming fore memorabilia ( plundering the German soldier naked ),,,,,that maybe even the family don't knows if the soldier replaced it ,,or partially ,,,before they had it .

and aim sorry to say,,,but
                              family's are not more reliable as a common dealer .

(often unconscionably I must say).( without bad intentions I mean )

After the war were far fewer crosses produced.
                              I can not say whether the soldier, his Cross has acquired new after the war.
                              Yes you are right: The most dealers are reputable. But the most dealers have the opportunity
                              to make a set of several pieces together. I speak of the possibility !!.
                              This option has the most family members do not.

Greetings Andi

Comment

Originally posted by Vet44 View Post
                                What is this for a Discussion, Guys ?!.

In my eyes there are all IC's 1914 !!.
                                There are a lot of number of IC 1914 during the period of WW1.
                                Why should the manufacture some years later change the manufacturing process and materials.

Greetings Andi
                                Andi, your post has become a discussion as so often happens but, this is a good thing. Not meaning to hijack your topic but it's opened an interesting subject as far as manufacturing periods go for this type of cross

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X