Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI EK 2 document - opinions please

Hello again all,

I just picked up this nice, elaborate EK II official award certificate. I'd be grateful for any comments and opinions as well as any help in translating the hand written portions. Thanks.

Gerdan, if you're online and see this thread, your input would also be appreciated again.

Best,

Alex

Alex,

the document is OK.

The hand written text: "Jäger Franz Hellwig, 2./R.Jäg.B. 20" - Date: 1. Juli 1916.

"Jäger" (Hunter) is his rank.

Gerdan

Comment

I forgot:

it is the 2. Company Reserve Jäger Bataillon 20

I think the German military rank "Jäger" has to be translated here as "rifleman"

Gerdan

Comment

I have one just like this. Different recipient etc, but these are good. Nice items really. I have mine framed and on display and it looks good due to the colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
          Alex,

the document is OK.

The hand written text: "Jäger Franz Hellwig, 2./R.Jäg.B. 20" - Date: 1. Juli 1916.

"Jäger" (Hunter) is his rank.

Gerdan
          Thanks again Gerdan!

Best,

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
            I forgot:

it is the 2. Company Reserve Jäger Bataillon 20

I think the German military rank "Jäger" has to be translated here as "rifleman"

Gerdan
            Noted. Thanks once again.

Best,

Alex

Comment

Commanders of 48th Reserve DIV.

From August 1914 Ferdinand von Hahn
              From June 1915 Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski
              From May 1917 Generalleutnant Konrad von Hippel

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campbell View Post
                I have one just like this. Different recipient etc, but these are good. Nice items really. I have mine framed and on display and it looks good due to the colors.
                So you have one too. That's interesting. This award certificate type is also featured in William E. Hamelman's "German Iron Cross Documents of World War I". So can I conclude it is a fairly common certificate type? Please let me know. Thanks.

Best,

Alex

Comment

I don't think it is super common, but there are a few out there. I haven't seen another one since this one you have shown. It stands out also, so I would not have missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Olav Holden View Post
                    Commanders of 48th Reserve DIV.

From August 1914 Ferdinand von Hahn
                    From June 1915 Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski
                    From May 1917 Generalleutnant Konrad von Hippel
                    Thanks for the interesting information. So do you think the document is signed by one of these officer's? If so and based on the time line you've provided, it would have to be Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski. But as far as I can tell the signature doesn't seem to match his name. Your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by EK Hunter View Post
                      Thanks for the interesting information. So do you think the document is signed by one of these officer's? If so and based on the time line you've provided, it would have to be Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski. But as far as I can tell the signature doesn't seem to match his name. Your thoughts?
                      I'm not really sure, i highly doubt it's signed by Bronikowski. He was later a Generalmajor in WW2 and holder of the Knight's Cross With Oaks and swords.

But as you said, i do not think the signature match.

Comment

I don't think it is super common, but there are a few out there. I haven't seen another one since this one you have shown. It stands out also, so I would not have missed it.
                        Thanks for your opinion Steve.

Best,

Alex

Comment

The signature is "von Oppel-Bronikowski" but I cannot say if the signature is handwritten or only a stamp.

The von Oppeln-Bronikowski Jon-Olav mentioned was born 1899 in Berlin, died 1966 in Geissbach bei Bad Tölz.

He never could have bee a Generalleutnant 1916! It was his father Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski (1857 - 1925) who was a Generalleutnant in ww1.

Gerdan

Comment

I have 4-5 of these, they are nice looking docs.

I dont know how many variations exist, but there are slight text differences "In the name of the general commanding the 48th div" "In the name of the commander of the 24th Korps" and "in the name of the commander of the "Korps Marschall"" being the 3 variations I have.

Best
                            Chris

Comment

Pretty nice document with pretty nice writting. I love old style of writting

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X