No announcement yet.

S&L Showroom circa 1940/1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These photos remind me of a trade show exhibit space.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
      These photos remind me of a trade show exhibit space.

I keep looking at these and for the life of me find it EXTREMELY hard to believe these date from the 40's (even the 50's). Call it paranoid me ... Looks like images out of LIFE Magazine from the 60's.

Comment

I really don't have a problem believing that they are, in fact, photos taken during the war years. My Grandfather was in the department store business from the 30's through the early 50's and these photos look exactly like photos I saw that he had of how sales rooms and displays were set up all those years ago. We may have a hard time relating to these simply because we have seen so very, very few quality photos of the interiors of medal manufacturer display areas from that period.

Comment

Interesting thread!

What is the number 516?

Comment

Originally posted by jaeger7-de View Post
            No, mine are pre-45 pics.

And again no, at the moment I would prefer not to post them on the internet, as they might be a part of a publication to come.

Sorry

jaeger7-de
            Interesting. No dates, nothing to indicate the timeframe the pictures were taken yet they are Pre-45. Hmmm ... you have ESP?

Well, I guess we wait for the publication to come out. Hopefully it's not sold on a site that also sells S&L PLM's.

Comment

IMHO, the S&L photos date to 1940.

No awards created after 1940 appear in the pix................but plenty created that year (Destroyer, Minesweeper, Oaks, etc. are there).

Comment

Must be a classic case of one of those guys who collects entire jewelry store interiors.

It would seem the illegality of displaying the swastika would make an assembly like this kind of "ify" postwar for any business.

One can easily find images of similar interior decor online from the 1930s, let alone 1940. That should simply not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                  Interesting. No dates, nothing to indicate the timeframe the pictures were taken yet they are Pre-45. Hmmm ... you have ESP?
                  Hi Darrell,

When else could they be from? I doubt anyone was displaying swastika-adorned Third Reich awards in a mock showroom with '40s period furnishings, photographing them, and pasting them into a photo-album. What would be the point?

I think the skepticism required of all of us in this hobby may be in overdrive here .
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                    Hi Darrell,

When else could they be from? I doubt anyone was displaying swastika-adorned Third Reich awards in a mock showroom with '40s period furnishings, photographing them, and pasting them into a photo-album. What would be the point?

I think the skepticism required of all of us in this hobby may be in overdrive here .
                    Well, I call it being really cautious, or you could call it being paranoid . A guy that just joined WAF, pops into a thread, says he has some pictures and suddenly everyone is going googoo gaggaa over proof in the pudding.

Where did he get them, how does he know they are Pre-45 (he's said there's no doubt, right?) Has anything been brought forward shedding any light on these questions? Until then, I'll sit on the sidelines and wait for the big revelation that will soon appear ....

I wonder who this guy is? Obviously not new to WAF and likely an existing member incognito for some reason, or like I said, maybe someone with alterior motives.

Next thing you know, we'll spot a Rounder on that wall and call them original again

P.S. As for the original e-bay link ... has anyone heard about this seller? I'd stay away from his wares. He's been known to fabricate stories to sell his goodies.
                    Last edited by Darrell; 02-04-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Actually, I confess........

It's really just my basement...............

Comment

I think I'm as skeptical, now, as they come. And I think these are definitely from an S&L showroom, somewhere, sometime. Although S&L openly sold to American dealers in the post WWII period, I find it entirely unlikely they had a showroom with Hitler and Goring adorned walls, is that Goring and Hitler on the wall?

Anyway, all those swastikas, not likely postwar in a showroom. I'll agree the photos are pre end of WWII Ludenscheid.

What I will never agree to, is that S&L made everything on the wall.

They were in the business of creating medal bars and supplying awards.

I won't agree they made the PlM anytime prior to 50's. Period. No evidence exists they made it in WWII. And this is not that smoking gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
                          What I will never agree to, is that S&L made everything on the wall.
                          Why not?

I don't mean to be awkward here, but why would S&L display/sell medals made by other firms?

It's like going into a BMW dealership to order a new Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
                            No evidence exists they made it in WWII.
                            These photos COULD (even theoretically) be the evidence.

Comment

Note that in the most recently posted image (again, many thanks to Jaeger7!) the room in the back is the same in which we had previously seen the PlM, albeit from a slightly different angle. It is separated from the more immediate room by dual sliding doors with divided lights, allowing for increased security. One might suspect the pieces housed in "516" to be some of the more valuable to the company?

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                                Actually, I confess........
                                It's really just my basement...............

I knew you had a good collection, but that is impressive indeed.
                                Best regards,
                                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X